Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reseeding with chickens - perfect for run reseeding if you don't free range  (Read 2231 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Lovely article and great ' recipe' for nutritious seed mix.  http://www.suchandsuchfarm.com/re-seeding-the-chicken-run/ apologies if it's already been posted on the forum, fi xx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Brilliant  :thumbsup: thank you
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
I've been scratching my head how to reseed my rather large pen and that's ideal! Thanks... something to get OH to make on a rainy day :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Thanks FiB. That's a great idea and one we may employ in the future. At the moment we are lucky enough to have enough good ground for sustainable enclosures. The traditional alternative is to divide the enclosure into two and only let them run on half of it at a time, with the other half recovering. But that's easier said than done.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
We tried this with spare lawn grass last year and grass seed the year before. Both times it didn't do well and eventually died.
I don't know if it's the chicken droppings burning the new growth  :thinking: or if we were just unlucky so if anybody has success let us know the secret.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS