Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wiring an ATV to connect to a trailer.  (Read 7960 times)

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
Wiring an ATV to connect to a trailer.
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:46:34 pm »
Anyone done it?
I've been pulling my hair out for the last few days trying to install a hookup so that I can tow a trailer on the road.

Both trailer and ATV are brand new. (Dealer hasn't got back to me yet, if he ever will, probably just hopes that I'll go away).
The trailer has lights as standard. Has a typical 7pin EU legal pickup.
I have bought a mate for the atv. OK - they fit together. I bought some wire, and connected it. Fine. I have a relay unit that I think I also wire into the atv hook up. (Very poor instructions and ague picture). Not really understood. I think that it's just there as an adjunct for legal reasons.

First off, I connected all the wires using the 'no break' connectors. These didn't cut into the wires though so I used smaller ones.Same problem though I got the R/H brake light come on when the brake was applied. Though I think it's the tail light.
It's not wired up wrongly - ie I haen't mixed up the wiring. I found an explanation that said that the oltage is being 'backfed' I think I understand this but not sure what is going on.

I really need simple one word instructions that I can follow.
Plenty of utube ids that just say, plug this in and bobs your uncle. It's not working.

I'e tried hard wiring now, still no joy. and my keyboard doesn't like the letter that comes between c&b anymore.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
Re: Wiring an ATV to connect to a trailer.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:25 pm »
Might help if you tell us what make the quad is. I know one make in particular has an 'oddity' regarding the wiring to the accessory socket! :innocent:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 05:13:53 am »
If it's one of the big 4 bring it round here I'll just do it for you.

If it's one of those odd makes send it back and buy a proper one

Honda now comes with a plug and socket attachment unplug/plug job done

The bad news is that everytime you apply a crimp to a wire you damage the insulation if that crimp is then removed it becomes an open invitation for water ingress 'sell the quad but a tractor'  :roflanim:

Make model would help us help you

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:47:29 am »
If it's one of the big 4 bring it round here I'll just do it for you.

If it's one of those odd makes send it back and buy a proper one

Honda now comes with a plug and socket attachment unplug/plug job done

The bad news is that everytime you apply a crimp to a wire you damage the insulation if that crimp is then removed it becomes an open invitation for water ingress 'sell the quad but a tractor'  :roflanim:

Make model would help us help you
what 4 big makes is that? honda, suzuki, kawasaki and polaris? not sure on the polaris but i needed 4!

anyway as for the OP so long as it isn't a canbus electronics system it should be a case of studying diagrams like this

and try to wire the socket up with the left indicator to the positive wire going to left left indicator on the vehicle and the reverse going to the positive wire on the reverse light on the quad and so on and so forth.....i think!
fingers crossed is what i would say!

oh and go probing with the multi meter lots!
Cheers Ed

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:36:31 pm »
Does Yamaha get into the big 4?

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:46 am »
It's a Polaris Sportsman 570 Forset. Road legal. Can't buy a tractor for many reasons apart from being impractical.

I have a wiring diagram and have wired the 7 pin socket accordingly. I got some bullet connectors and am using those. Made a good earth and the tail lights work.
The brake lights and the indicators do not work.

It's not quite as above. http://www.abs-zero.com/images/2012/05/12N-towbar-wiring.gif

All the connections are now using bullet connectors not scotch connectors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS