Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To castrate or not to castrate...  (Read 4163 times)

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
To castrate or not to castrate...
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:18:39 pm »
Hello i have a 2 and a half month old ram lamb which is entire (i bought it this way).  It is destined for the freezer so would it be best to use a bloodless castrator or something to allow it to stay with its mother and sister until slaughter day.  It would be hassle to pen it up.  Ive heard you can only keep it with mother for 4 1/2 months.  Is this right??  How difficult is it to castrate and would it be worth it?  For a Zwartbles, do any of you know what is the best age/weight to kill for lamb??

Sorry lots of questions, some of you knowledgeable ones can hopefully answer!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: To castrate or not to castrate...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:51:50 pm »
 Males grow faster if uncastrated, and if you have plenty of grass you should easily get him fat in four months or so.
 Ewes usually don't get pregnant again till about 6 months after lambing if they are still feeding their lambs, so again you should have a bit of leeway.
 Last year I  grazed a texel ewe and her 2 lambs - one male and one female. The ram lamb stayed with her  till she lambed again this year - almost a year to the day since her previous lambing. So obviously she wasn't mated any earlier from having her son with her.
So, if it was me I wouldn't castrate.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:20:13 pm »
fairly sure that only bloodless castrators an option at his age and at 3 months castration can only be carried out under anaesthetic. Not sure i'd be confident in wielding burdizzos . i'd prob be inclined to leave it but only if its practical to keep him separate later. he'd surely hop aboard mother at an obscenely young age. otherwise probably best ring the vet and have it done surgically

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:01:45 pm »
thanks for your help.  I think i'll leave it.  devonlad, are you saying that it should be ready for slaughter within the 4 1/2 month guideline for separating??  Sorry, don't have a clue as to slaughter times but i want nice tender lamb!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »
unlikely to be ready at 4 1/2 months- ours tend to take 8-9 months at least= we lamb in march and try to get them to slaughter just before christmas but we only finish on grass so generally takes longer. basically if you're keeping him entire he'll need to be away from ewes at 4-5 months. he'll really need a bit of company though so if you haven't got another male then castration probably best- not a fan of keeping flock animals on their own- unkind really

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:53 pm »
not a fan of keeping flock animals on their own- unkind really

To put it mildly.  It is not right to keep a sheep on its own, end of.  So talk to your vet about castration.  Although the lamb is young enough to use burdizzos, this is a skilled operation and can be extremely painful if not done correctly, not to mention ineffective.  You'd be able to take a lamb this age to the vets, so it wouldn't cost too much to have it done professionally.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:37:03 am »
When you say not too much, do you have a rough figure?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:28:57 am »
Even if I did know what my vet would charge (I don't), that wouldn't help you as your vet could charge something completely different.

I think Rosemary had a lamb castrated a year or two back, perhaps she will tell you what she paid.

But the easiest thing would be to phone your vets and ask!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:11:57 pm »
I bought a store lamb last year that was entire, I kept him entire as he was 3 1/2 months when I bought him. We separated him in September with a wether friend for company in a field 2 fields away from the ewe lambs, he was fine but we were lucky we had a wether lamb to buddy up with him. He went to slaughter in mid October.

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 05:48:07 pm »
I may well be able to work something out with the chap next door and pen his off with mine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS