Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: whats Thainstone market like ?  (Read 2414 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
whats Thainstone market like ?
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:17 am »
Anyone go to Thainstone market ? I was wondering what it was like and if it was worth a run up ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: whats Thainstone market like ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:15:41 am »
Big venue; the rare breed sale is usually very well attended. Easily accessible.

If you want to come, the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Spring Gathering is there on 31st May  :thumbsup:

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:47 am »
Im thinking about going for a wee look on saturday but its 3.5 hours away !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:33:24 am »
The catalogue's available on line

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:42:53 am »
Yeh iv had a look the wife likes the scots greys and dumpies and there is some in the catalouge do could be worth a run

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:28:51 am »
I prefer to use our local mart at Huntly, the boys there handle the animals more kindly. I find them a bit coarse at Thainstone by comparison, they shout at the animals and whack the ground with sticks to make them move. I'm constantly told I will get a better price for my stock at Thainstone but  a few pence more per kilo doesn't justify the petrol for a small number of animals.
It depends why you want to know really, if you are buying stock Thainstone is a bigger place so perhaps more choice? ...... but you may pay more too if what I'm told is true.
The rare breeds show is very well attended, big and noisy poultry hall so bring ear plugs for the auction, I find I can hear the auctioneer better with the background noise muted a bit. A lot of well heeled enthusiasts often inflate the prices so buy a catalogue and contact the sellers later if you miss the things you wanted, they often have more at home just as good.
Thainstone also has regular outdoor auctions of everything from pallets of building materials to ibc tanks, they are worth travelling up for.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:30 am »
The may sale is the biggist one .There will be people from england  iraland and beyond. .The ferthist we go is York .The best sale is carlile september .But this has the size great day out .Im not using thainstone eney more . The price they charged me was bad .The cost was £90 for the hens and £120 for the sheep £40 pound for fuel so thats it.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 11:00:24 pm »
Yes it could be a good wee trip for you, guite a few LF Scots Greys birds and eggs if they are of good quality they could fetch good money. Sometimes the birds are not of a good standard with many faults, the last time I was there The Scots Dumpy Bantams were very poor and looked like they had some other breed in them. Sometimes the birds are not even forward. Be prepared to be disappointed. Much better to buy privately in my opinion. I will have both Scots Grey and Scots Dumpy Bantams available later on in the year if you are interested and can wait.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS