Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm going out of my mind  (Read 5057 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
I'm going out of my mind
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:22:07 am »
Someone, please help me.

I spent most of last night awake, trying to decide what colour to dye my wool. I am the 'keeper' of our spinning club dyes so most colours should be achieveable.

I know that I want to start my garment with a darker colour at the bottom and graduate in the same colour type upwards. So I will probably only dye 1 skein in each colour.

I could go brown, light brown, fawn, cream
Purple, mauve, lilac, pale lilac
Plum, etc
Jade, etc
Green, etc
Blue, etc
Red, etc

Oh gosh, I just don't know

What are your favourite colours?

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: I'm going out of my mind
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:43:30 am »
I would go for a green or a blue. Will get pictures of the final decision?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:45:17 am »
I'd go with purple to pale lilac.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:56 am »
Twit.

You're not making this for us!  You need to choose colours you like and that suit you!

When you see a palette of colours, for instance a paint card, which colour draws you?  (For me, lavenders, or plums, usually.  Sometimes the greens.)

What colours do people always say, "Oh, that colour really suits you!" ?  (For me, bright blues and turquoises.)

What mood do you want to create when looking at the garment?  What colours evoke that mood?  (I'm spinning a 'rose garden' braid at the moment - deep reds and bright reds like rose petals, yellows for stamens, greens for leaves and stalks, some creams to let the deeper colours speak - and I am in the garden on a summer's day as I spin!  :))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:07:23 pm »
I'm usually a red person. The colour suits me (I think) and I always feel happy in that colour.
I have just brought the dyes in from the garage to do a stock take. Perhaps seeing them might give me some ideas.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 12:11:40 pm »
Every time I see the sunset I want to dye something in blues, hot and cool peach tones and pale greys.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:27:28 pm »
I'm usually a red person. The colour suits me (I think) and I always feel happy in that colour.
I have just brought the dyes in from the garage to do a stock take. Perhaps seeing them might give me some ideas.

I was going to suggest you go for something to match your eyes, but maybe not given that you like reds  :roflanim: 
 I love red too, but I also like greens and mauves together - they grade into eachother beautifully.

Years ago in Shetland I saw a lovely graded jumper, starting with black at the bottom and grading up through reds, oranges, to light yellow at the top - sort of sunsetty.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:33:38 pm »

I was going to suggest you go for something to match your eyes, but maybe not given that you like reds  :roflanim: 
 I love red too, but I also like greens and mauves together - they grade into eachother beautifully.

Years ago in Shetland I saw a lovely graded jumper, starting with black at the bottom and grading up through reds, oranges, to light yellow at the top - sort of sunsetty.

Or Tequila sunrise  ;D ;D

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:36:16 pm »
You should have a go at using natural dyes, it doesn't matter what shades you end up with they always seem to go together ok........ plus it's fun to experiment  ;D
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 01:10:38 pm »
I have some natural dyes here Julie and have used onions skins and things in the past. This time I wanted to go for something more dramatic though.

Still collecting onion skins for the next time though

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »
The other thing you could do, Sally, is have a look through some patterns on Ravelry - not for the patterns but to see how people use colour and whether anything lights your fire.

If you look at shawl patterns you'll see the whole spectrum!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »
I don't get on very well with Ravelry, I find it confusing. Yours is a good idea though so I will see what I can find.
Thanks

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:21 pm »
Black !

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 09:46:22 pm »
Well, it's definitely not going to be black. Sally's suggestion was a good one. I have downloaded a pic I saw on Ravelry and will base my colours on that.
I'm not saying what those colours are yet because I don't know how well I can get a dye to a colour that is in my head.

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:00 pm »
Good luck , I'm about to embark on part two of my dyeing adventure. Green and purple are my favourite colours.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS