Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Perches for chickens?  (Read 4666 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Perches for chickens?
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:39:18 am »
OK, I have read the books and seen the pre made chicken coops; so why do they all say that square perches with rounded edges are best for the chickens?  They are birds and are use to branches.  Would this not be more natural.  Mine like their bit of rough branch, bark and all.  Am I wrong?  Or is it just what the birds get use to?
Ros   :cat: :chook:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:43:57 pm by r+lchick »

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Perches for chickens?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
i now relise theres a lot of rubbish written about perches, size etc.... i always put a mix a various sizes, 2" - 4" branches and other sizes , various bits of wood slightly rounded, but my birds like to roost in laurel bushes so i now put a mix of branches in their shed now ive penned them in, when there manky burn them and replace with new. But i have sheds, trees , bushes, etc but a lot of them choose to roost on some metal barriers , the type the council put out along the street when theres and event on, also the top of builders security fenceing barries,they are metal and round, little grip but thats what they choose.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:00:54 am by harry »

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:27 am »
I'm using old curtain poles for the hens in the shed that my dad built, the bought ones both have squared perches,
 i personally don't think it matters to them, in the wild they would use what they find

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:36:25 pm »
i made a wonderful multi height perch but they prefer the widow ledges and nest box shelves. the will perch were they will.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »
Our have bannister rails (is there a fancy name for them - I cant think!) So they have a variety of sizes of round bits, square ends and the edges of the drawers (nest box!) to choose from.  Seems to be first come, first served
Little Blue

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:05:09 am »
i made a wonderful multi height perch but they prefer the widow ledges and nest box shelves. the will perch were they will.
  Ah but the book says that you should discourage perching on nest boxes as they mess them up (sarcasm).  I suppose it is a matter of "if they like it let them be" even if it is the most uncomfortable place in the house.   :cat: :chook:

Hardfeather

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:10:52 am »
The most important thing is the height of the perches.

If they are lower than, or the same height as, the nest boxes/window ledges, etc., the birds will be disinclined to use them.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 11:37:38 am »
yup hence they like the top of the 4ft high nest boxes. i was so chuffed with them as well but they prefer to lay anywhere but.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS