Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden Death in Cade Lambs  (Read 6602 times)

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
Sudden Death in Cade Lambs
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:12:12 am »
Hi could anybody help we have had some cade lambs of a local farmer they have had colostrum of the ewe , navel sprayed and a squirt of spectam  every now and then we find one slightly blown and are unable to let down they also start fitting and die  the latest is a 7 week old lamb who has been weaned of milk weighed 9kg the vets don't seem to have any ideas ! its so frustrating

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Sudden Death in Cade Lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:19:59 am »
Have they been vaccinated?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:29:03 am »
No and we have spoken to the farmer and he doesn't vaccinate the ewes so we are looking at vacci the rest of the cades

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:20:42 am »
Vaccinate and get a vet who knows sheep  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 11:21:18 am »
Good idea IMO. I would expect that cade lambs would be particularly vulnerable even if they had colostrum.

The colostrum will only provide passive immunity for a few weeks - until the lamb's own immune system kicks in - but there's nothing like vaccination for ensuring that particular diseases are covered.

There are plenty of threads on this forum about vaccines. We use Heptavac P+ and have never had any unexpected lamb deaths.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:04:46 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:22:03 am »
... and don't buy any more cade lambs from said farmer!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:27:35 pm »
Are they on pasture with a high legume content? Sounds like bloat to me :(
One of the problems with cade lambs is how greedy they are, big feeds less often seems to stretch the stomach, you can always spot a bottled lamb by their pot bellies. They grow into greedy adults so it might be a good plan to let them fill up on hay before turning them onto pasture to stop them gorging themselves on the new spring grass. If you have an electric fence then strip grazing will help you control how much they can access at a time
Could easily be something pastoral too, vaccination is always a good plan, without more information it's all guesswork really but if you cover all the bases it won't do any harm.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 02:45:11 pm »
Non-vaccination leaves the lambs very vulnerable to the clostridial diseases, especially added to the stress of being separated from the ewe and transported.

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »
Thank you all for your replys we are going to vaccinate luckly we are given the cades and our vets are really one of the best in this area with livestock it just makes you very depressed when you cant save them , we have had a cow tread on her new born heifer calf today and kill that its days like this when we feel like packing it all in its very hard to pick yourself up and carry on  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 03:27:47 pm »
 :hug:

I absolutely know how you feel.  To have all that work and care of that cow for 12 months, only to have such a stupid mindless accident leave you with no calf...  :bouquet: :hug:

Shall you be able to get a set-on for her?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 04:02:10 pm »
Hi whats a set on ? also we remembed she did the same to her bull calf last year and broke his leg which luckly we had put in plaster and he was fine it makes you so mad, shes a lovely big home bred cow and the calf was one of the last calfs from our very quiet show bull who we had a lot of fun with at shows and we wanted to keep the calf  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »
Oh, shame.  But with that history I wouldn't be breeding from her again ;)

A set-on is another calf that you set onto her as her own.  If you've a local dairy farmer they may have a calf you could use, and may be able to give you some advice on setting it on. 

Is she staying with the dead calf and wanting it or mourning it?

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:30:08 pm »
Never had a problem before with her and shes had a few calves shes 9yrs old  shame as got a lovely big bag and is easy to handle when calving at the moment my partner feels like getting rid of the lot !  :(

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
just thinking ... does anyone else go near the lambs.  my friend lost a lamb once cos her friend let it suck on her fingers...since then people are banned from touching them.  i dont think they can deal with the flora that others have on theyre hands/fingers beyond that of theyre substitute mum ie me ......  just a thought ....

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:52 pm »
More likely that in sucking fingers they have bloated with gas/air in their stomach, my lambs are handled by me mainly but others do handle them and they are fine, although I don't let them suck on fingers...

In response to the main question I'd say either bloat or clostridial disease will cause sudden death, bloat more so... I lost a 5 wk old lamb this year just about to be weaned off milk, the time period between being fine and healthy to dead was less than 2 hours. If you keep losing lambs though I'd suggest finding another farmer,  a lot of it depends on the start they have had in life. Vaccinate the others with heptavac asap.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS