Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cotswold sheep  (Read 3838 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Cotswold sheep
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:29:11 pm »
I feel in love with these sheep at Wonderwool. I can't believe how big they are, almost the size of a small horse. Their 8 week old lambs were with them and they were the size of my 8 month Ryelands.
They have wonderful fleece and the lambs fleece in particular felt like silk. Their owner breeds for the fleece. He said his most expensive fleece, which was due to go to America, is £100. the other fleece that he had there were all £50 each.
Anyone tried to spin with it?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Cotswold sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:42:28 pm »
Yes!  I was sent some by a very kind Raveller, and it's beautiful.  So so soft, silky and lustrous.  Very long of course, so combing is the only option.

You thinking of getting a few?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:08 am »
Yes!  I was sent some by a very kind Raveller, and it's beautiful.  So so soft, silky and lustrous.  Very long of course, so combing is the only option.

You thinking of getting a few?

I think it's just as well that I don't have the space for anything else. They are also big so I would wonder how I could cope with them. Mind you the man that has them says he doesn't turn them over. He does their feet by lifting a hoof at a time.

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »
I was impressed by these and their lovely fleeces, yes they were rather large sheep too.

I have to say that I loved the Shetlands, so small and sweet. I spent quite a while admiring the Gotlands too, little wooly characters.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:27:02 pm by madcat »

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:42:26 pm »
I hope to get cotswolds when i am ready . Lots of wool , 10lb ish , per sheep , plus lots of meat when the time comes !

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »
That's the trouble, so many lovely breeds out there! Are you sure you can't fit in a few Sally?  ;)
He does their feet by lifting a hoof at a time
..Size of a small horse and behaves like it too, apparently?! Mmm, too much temptation... I've just spent a lovely morning with Backinwellies and her sheep, now OH has seen me in action he's all for a flock (stop laughing Linda, he doesn't know any better - don't disillusion him!!  ;))

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:15:09 pm »
Angela,
You already have much more knowledge than I did when we got ours. All I knew was that sheep have a leg at each corner and are covered in fleece.
Its a steep learning curve but I don't think we have made any howling mistakes.
Go on - you know you want some  :sheep:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:11:57 pm »
When I was still thinking of some sheep, Cotswold Lions  :) were top of the list. I saw them at Adam Hanson's rare breed farm and they're gorgeous - and very rare. Would love to know if any of you get them - I decided sheep were not for me but I like to love them from afar!

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:43 am »
Go on - you know you want some
...Ooh don't I just!!  :excited:
I saw them at Adam Hanson's rare breed farm and they're gorgeous - and very rare
I'm a sucker for the rare breeds... Stop tempting me!!  ;D

Biggest question now is end product... OH has gone all squeamish on me and isn't sure he'd like sending them off to come back for the table. I think I'd like some we keep and some for meat, the idea of fleece and meat potential sounds good to me (Sally, I will be at the spinning group at some point!!). One step at a time for OH me thinks, I'm not sure he's ready for the thought of lambing just yet... I wonder how practical a (small) mixed flock would be...

I think I need to dig out the sheep book again and stick some pretty pictures under his nose...  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:35:33 pm »
I suspect you're not going to resist temptation for long.  ;D ;D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:18:55 pm »
There is a Cotswold Sheep Society and they were very helpful when I contacted them - also would have helped to locate sheep and advise on which markets to attend (Cirencester from memory, can't remember when).

http://www.cotswoldsheepsociety.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS