Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teach Us How to Prepare for Showing?  (Read 2460 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Teach Us How to Prepare for Showing?
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:28:58 pm »
Been asked to show our Southdowns in a couple of local shows and feel we should do it properly for the sake of the breed.  Any experienced showers out there that could teach us?  Could barter two nights in a 4* farm holiday cottage or rare breed hens or home-produced GOS pork ....?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Teach Us How to Prepare for Showing?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:48:54 pm »
To get results: Start with oversized examples of your chosen breed, preferably buy from judges, then stuff cake into them... get to know all judges personally... wait half a lifetime... that's about it! I will take payment in GOS pork!  :eyelashes:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »
then stuff cake into them...

The judges or the sheep?  :D

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »
The most difficult thing was learning how to clip te sheep out! Imagine a nice rectangular sheep and then round off the edges... Do this over a period I time so you don't take off too much! Feed them well but don't make them obese as teach them to lead properly.... It's all about having fun! I was lucky enough to win with my ewe lambs the first time I ever showed them! Pouring rain probably helped as the biggest "gun" didn't show up but I was thrilled anyway! Just go and have fun, you'll meet some great people and learn a lot :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »
MF! I hope your go at it works out better than ours did last year.
We took 2 ram lambs with us to the local show, a Ryeland and a Coloured Ryeland. In the only class available to them they were up against a bunch of huge 'yellow' Suffolks.

My 2 were placed last and the judge admitted he had never seen Ryelands before and didn't know how to judge them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 05:27:08 pm »
Its easy to judge Ryelands! You pick the biggest, fattest one as long as it belongs to your mate or you have related stock (I thought I had already covered this...)  :rant:
And Henchard - its both! Obviously  :dunce:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »
i may be completely wrong but i thought show sheep got shorn really early in the year, and kept inside, so they had a good thick fleece in time for the show season.

it is a shame but it is often who you know.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:16:37 pm »
i may be completely wrong but i thought show sheep got shorn really early in the year, and kept inside, so they had a good thick fleece in time for the show season.

Not if they live here they don't!  Yes, many people will do that, but ours will be clipped when our hoggs are, first week of June, but will be hand clipped to leave a wee bit more on.  And they will be staying outside, although they might stay in the night before a show if it is tipping down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS