Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My 1st lambs  (Read 1885 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
My 1st lambs
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:24 pm »
Hi,
Got the 1st of this years lambs today, a Cheviot with a pair and a Shetland had a pair, unfortunately one was dead.
For the last two years I have used a white Shetland tup, and every lamb born was white, except one, but this year we used a fawn katmoget tup in the hope he would throw some coloured lambs, well it seems I certainly got what I wished for.
Hopefully there will be pictures, as they are not showing up in the preview.
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: My 1st lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »
I love that yuglet (panda) pattern  :D I've got one with it this year too  :thumbsup:

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 02:42:26 pm »
Hi,
It's so cute, don't know yet if it is male or female, as I can't get near enough to see yet, it also has white on it's legs.

I'm going to join the Shetland sheep society, as I have a number of registered sheep, if that one is female would that make it a fawn katmoget yuglet sokket ??

Regards Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »
Lovely looking little lamb  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:58:33 pm »
Lovely lamb,  :fc: for more little lovelies for you. 
Our katmoget ram has thrown 20 katmoget lambs in various shades mainly twins, 2 pure black twins, and 1 pure white.   So is there a dominant gene in there?  I also put 2 GFD ewes to him this year and both ewe lambs look like slim GFD with softer fleece.  Sadly, they are destined to be rugs :( .

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:15 pm »
Cheviot, I would say moorit katmoget yuglet.

No sokket there, that would involve (white) socks - I have one with four ankle socks and one with two knee socks  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:05:35 pm »
Well done Sue, wish my girls would hurry up and make the most of all the good weather.  :thumbsup:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:21:21 pm »
What a gorgeous lamb  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »
Ahhh, lovely :)  :love: :sheep:

I love the mixed colours of my little flock.  They're mostly crossbreeds, but I find looking at a flock of many colours lifts my spirits in a way that a homogenous flock doesn't.  Same with hens and cattle.  (Although I can appreciate the beauty of a herd or flock of strong healthy animals that all look very alike, too.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS