Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Carmarthenshire  (Read 9630 times)

Horseshoe House

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Carmarthenshire
Hello from Carmarthenshire
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:12:10 pm »
Hello Wales

Please say hi if you are in my area - would be lovely to meet you.

I have 15 acres to wrestle and I'm just getting started. This is my first bash at smallholding.
Please feel free to advise the best way to tackle swathes of brambles at the field edge, in the field and woodland. It's truly taken over in parts. I like the idea of doing things organically but can this really be so, with so much clearing to be done?
What's the best (cheap) home made pig ark, in your opinion - will an old 'Rice' horsebox do?
 Not planning to keep pigs over winter or start until next spring as we have building/drainage/pipe laying/fencing/garden work/a life to fit in first.

Is anyone else at the beginners stage, like me?

Many thanks,
Linn

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:40:58 pm by The House In The Horseshoe »

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »
Hello and welcome also from Carmarthenshire!

Not sure exactly where you are, but they are a very friendly bunch round here; last local TAS meet was in Feb, but you never know...  :D We're not far from Llandeilo and always happy to meet new friends.  :wave:

We've kept chickens/pheasants/partridge and gardened extensively for years, but though I have some experience with bigger, more exotic critters, sheep etc. (next stage) will be new for me. Loads of advice on here though...
You can go down the poison route with the brambles if you want (glycophosphate type), but I'm not a fan of chemicals and usually just cut them back... very persistently! It depends on just how much there is, as much as anything, and how long you want to be working on it for. We have a brush cutting scythe, but a petrol brush cutter would make a good start. Do you have anyone you can call on for a 'working party' to get you started? There are plenty of people who can advise on here re effectiveness of goats/pigs etc with roots.

Angela

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »
 :wave: Hi !! We are new to smallholding too, though not in Wales sorry. Also spent last summer battling with brambles by hand. The bit that looks good this year was where I managed to pull them out roots and all rather than strimming. We've got our first pigs, keep them in the barn but in a sectioned off area. I would have thought a horse box fine except the roof may be a bit high if you get bad weather there?- too cold. Every one here has answered all my daft questions quickly and with loads of commonsense, its a brilliant website!

Horseshoe House

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »
Thanks for your replies and advice
Nice to meet you :wave:

I live not far from Llandeilo, so it will be nice to get to know my neighbours.

There are patches of brambles all over, but the biggest area covers an impenetrable half acre on sloped ground. EEK!

We have everything to do as most areas haven't been touched in sometime.
I have a very big list of things to do before it take shape and I'll mostly be doing the work on my own.

I'm interested in working my way up to keeping pigs next summer, a few lambs, 2 miniature donkeys, chickens and guinea pigs as pets for the kids.

That's on top of everything else I have to fit in. I suddenly feel a bit overwhelmed!!!

Linn

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:19:45 pm »
Another of the Carmarthen mob here (near Pontargoghi) just saying hi and welcome. No doubt we will get another Carmarthenshire meeting sorted sometime!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:38:46 pm »
Hi, not in Wales but wish you well with your adventure  :wave: Im in Caithness, Scotland  :pig: :chook: :dog: :goat: :horse: :sheep: :&>

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:42:39 pm »
Don't panic Linn, slow but sure is the best way anyway. Our last place was a jungle of bramble, nettle, thistle, dock and couch grass that hadn't been touched in over 3 years, you name it, we had it (except for Japanese knotweed, that was saving itself up for this place!). I still have the photos of the marathon bramble clearing sessions with just the two of us (actually, mostly me - OH has a lawn obsession... not that we had much of a lawn at the time!), plus the photos of the complete transformation by the time we left. Make a list if it helps, concentrate on priorities and the rest will fall into line soon enough. What's the first thing you'd like to achieve? And don't forget - you are here, you are living the dream, it's a lovely part of the world and it's soooo worth it.

Please do feel free to pm me if you'd like, I'm not far away for a bit of moral support and there's usually cake involved  ;)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:45:36 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :wave:
I am also in Carmarthenshire. I've been here 2 years now and love it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:00:51 pm »
Hello & Welcome :)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »
Hello from north wales, also fighting the good fight of pasture v other sp (whilst wanting to
Leaving enough for bees etc). 5000 l water tanks make good pig arks if you can get one.....or if you are lucky to have stone.... ;D ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:56:49 am by FiB »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 08:04:51 am »
 :wave:  again from Carmarthenshire .... which side of Llandeilo are you?    I'm in Talley been here a year+  and held last Carmarthen meet up here.  Always happy to meet newcomers.

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 01:52:23 pm »
Hi from carmarthenshire :wave:  - I know how you feel - I took on 30acres about 2 rs ago - I have about 20 acres of bramble/bracken/gorse on a very steep slope which I'm trying to keep in check, and I did have about 1/5 acre of japanese knotweed (in the garden) that's almost gone now.

still fencing by hand (1250m down; ~350m to go on the perimeter) and when that's done I was going to try goats and/or pigs and see how they get on - otherwise it'll be roundup and a backpack sprayer.

Hazel Hollow

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 09:22:15 am »
Hello from just over the border in Pembrokeshire, just started as well, learning fast.

Horseshoe House

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »
Thankyou and Hello to you all

henchard  - I'm a few miles from you it seems...I hope you don't catch the 'brambles' from us!
I would love to come along to the next TAS Carmarthenshire meet. I'd be most grateful if you let me know when it's next planned, thanks.

Somewhere_by_the_river  - Thanks for the offer. You don't need to ask twice when there's cake involved! When I figure out how to work this forum properly, I will surely PM you as it sounds like you've 'been there, done that' in all things smallholdingy.

Hazel Hollow, Bionic, Backinwellies, mab and everyone else who said hi - It's lovely to know there are others just like me in the area. I hope you don't mind if I stay in touch and ask for the odd piece of advice?

FiB  - It's so funny that you asked if we have stone. It never occurred to me...but yes we do...lot's. We just finished renovating our stone barn so stone piggy house it is. Thanks for planting the idea. I'd don't know why I didn't think of it.
Probably because I'm new at all this, or something!

Linn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS