Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay making question  (Read 1277 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Hay making question
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:53 pm »
Just wanted a bit of advice about making hay! I've  a large field that has been grazed by my sheep - it has some arum lily ( other names I think  are cuckoo pint, lords and ladies, Jack in the pulpit) which I believe is poisonous to sheep? However, none of mine seem to have touched it whilst being in the field, so it hasn't been a problem. But I did wonder about if the plant gets into the hay - would it be a problem when it's cut and dried?
Thank you 
4 pet sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Hay making question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:27:16 am »
Interesting question, I'd like to know the answer too.  We have loads of that too, mostly around the edges though so those bits tend not to get baled. I've been trying to get rid of it so I tend to rip it all up at about this time of year before it starts developing berries.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:49:52 am »
It's usually in the hedgerows, so not an issue.  Is yours out in the open, moprabbit?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:40 pm »
Hi Sally! Most of it is at the edges of the field, but the sheep can get to it there, but don't eat it! However there is some further out that would be cut if we made hay - that's the thing I'm wondering about?
4 pet sheep

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:06:52 pm »
If you've got any doubts I would go out one afternoon before cutting and pull up all the bits in the middle a bit like you would with ragwort.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 10:26:25 am »
That's probably the best idea Twizzel! Thanks
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS