Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barn floor  (Read 4537 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Barn floor
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »
We are building a structure that will combine a mower / trailer store (OH has lots of mowers!) a log store and an open fronted barn area for livestock - sheep, chickens etc.  The mower store will have a sloping concrete floor but is this the best flooring surface for the barn area?

Foel Isaf

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Gwynedd
Re: Barn floor
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:50 am »
 Chickens like to have a dust bath so an area of dry earth should be included, but an all earth floor leaves them susceptible to foxes. If you choose the dirt floor it  might be a good idea to dig in wire netting around the circumference about a foot down and a foot across to protect them from ingress by foxes and rats.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:43:41 am »
id go for concrete as mud in winter is a  nightmare. concrete can be cleaned well incase of pests/mites /infection.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:44:11 am »
i agree with @shygirl and a concrete floor as it is easy  to clean with broom, shovel, scraper, hose, pressure washer or whatever and you just chuck a whole load of straw down on it for animals and then chickens can have their dust bath in the straw and also food doesn't get trampled into earth and it is rat and fox proof
Cheers Ed

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:41 am »
Yep, I'd go for concrete on the basis that it's easy to clean. Our barn is currently 1/4 concrete, rest earth and the bit of the earth bit that sometimes has livestock on it is a b*gger to get bedding off.

I'm sure I was told once that if you are going to put livestock on, it has to be a certain kind of concrete that won't be affected by urine. But I might have dreamt it  ::)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:57:47 pm »
Yep, I'd go for concrete on the basis that it's easy to clean. Our barn is currently 1/4 concrete, rest earth and the bit of the earth bit that sometimes has livestock on it is a b*gger to get bedding off.

I'm sure I was told once that if you are going to put livestock on, it has to be a certain kind of concrete that won't be affected by urine. But I might have dreamt it  ::)
No, you didn't Rosemary ;D .  Can't remember the technical stuff but it is a 'stronger' mix (whatever that means).  I know we asked for that for our stables - don't know if we got it mind  :roflanim: .  Def. concrete if you can afford it.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »
That sounds exactly the same as we are building. 

Concrete is best and your local provider will tell you how much you need if you give them dimensions and they will also say which mix is best.  It can also depend on what you are putting it on. 

Put reinforcement in it - that's metal grid mesh - as it will provide the structural stability required for heavy machinery, diggers tractors etc.

Are you getting someone to do it for you or is it diy?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:33:16 pm »
The shed / barn is diy and OH has mixed the foundations by hand but he is getting premix concrete in for the main floor slab.  After that it will be his summer project.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:10:34 am »
Snap.  Our slab is down, but OH getting help with the timber frame as he can't handle the trusses himself - my days of such things is over, I'm almost crippled with the amount of stone hauling I've done these past years.  Good luck with it - don't forget to post pics when it's done  :thumbsup:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS