Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb not eating  (Read 6164 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Lamb not eating
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »
I have a lamb approx 11 weeks old which I weaned off the bottle a few weeks ago as he was eating mix and pellets. Last week he seemed off colour, snotty nose, not wanting to eat and a bit dribble round the mouth.

I gave him a couple of doses of synulox which seemed to clear up the symptoms but he is still picky and not keen to eat (unless he can push into feed shed and stick his head in the bag!). His temperature today was 35.8 and he's looking a bit lens. I never see him grazing now he just lies in the goat shed. He isn't eating any of their feed and I don't think he can reach (or is interested in) the red Rockies so don't think its that.

I gave him a small dose of ewe vits today but I don't know what to do. He looks depressed. Only other thing is I  took him away from flock to house with a Suffolk that had to lamb as easier to feed there. He will drink milk if offered but I don't want him back on bottle. Any suggestions?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Lamb not eating
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:48 pm »
38.5 or 35.8?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »
Is he vaccinated against clostridial diseases? I had a lamb a little like this, he was 4 weeks old though and although still on a bottle he wouldn't eat anything. Turns out he had a whopping great abscess brewing on his top lip which once came up was lanced drained and treated with Synulox. He was ok after but still not right and very lethargic, we were passing the vet one day and popped in and luckily saw the farm vet who gave me an anti-inflammatory jab, he's been right as rain since.

If he's been out could he have got a chill? Have you checked his mouth for abscesses or cuts. Will he eat hay? I would be inclined to give him 3 days of pen&strep and see if that perks him up, bring him in and keep him warm and if not better in a couple of days I'd give the vet a ring.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »
I haven't vaccinated yet as trying to wait until all lambs are old enough which is another week. It read 35.8. He doesn't seem interested in hay. I will go back to pen and strep for 3 days. He does have a dodgy hock but vet has seen it and not worried. No heat just some fluid round joint. Not joint ill. Possibly caught it in something.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:03:48 pm »
Can lambs get lymphangitis? We had a horse with it once and his hock puffed up and he was quite unwell with it too... not sure if sheep can get it though especially lambs that young?

I might be inclined to ring the vet tomorrow especially if he's been out at grass and isn't covered for clostridial diseases.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:38 pm »
Thats pretty chilly then

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:07:01 pm »
I've given antibiotics and will check temp tomorrow again in case it was a poor reading or I got it wrong. I will get Heptavac on Friday but not sure it's a good idea to give if he is under the weather. I do have lamivac which might be gentler on him.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:58:22 am »
I've given antibiotics and will check temp tomorrow again in case it was a poor reading or I got it wrong. I will get Heptavac on Friday but not sure it's a good idea to give if he is under the weather. I do have lamivac which might be gentler on him.

No, don't vaccinate an animal which is already ill.

You say you don't think he's eating the goats' food or licking their red Rockies - but I'd be highly suspicious that he has had at either or both and that's what's upset him.  They'd be way too high in copper, I think?  (I don't have goats but I recall reading on here that goats need cattle levels of copper, which is toxic to sheep.  And I know that you have to keep sheep away from red Rockies.)

Is his rumen working properly? Is the belly pliable or hard?  Is he belching and cudding?  Can you see the 'rumen wave' - the muscular ripple from hip to rib cage every 30 seconds or so.   If not, I'd try a bit of TLD drench, or some lucozade.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:40 am »
No definitely don't vaccinate until he's better, the vaccination can make them under the weather for a few days, so definitely wait until he's 100% and has been for a few days before vaccinating. The lamb I mentioned in my earlier post was vaccinated 8 days after the others... and he reacted to it fine whereas other healthy lambs took a bit of a knock with it.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:23 pm »
He can't get goat feed cos I shut him up while I feed them. Rockies are up high and he was actually fenced away from them but since Ill he has snuck under wire and sleeps with them inside. The only thing out there is a goose and I did read somewhere that there is something they might carry which can affect other animals. Going to phone vet.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »
What did the vet say?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:28:12 pm »
Vet puzzled, said to carry on with what I was doing but go back to milk and start weaning again very slowly.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS