Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kids not right  (Read 1244 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Kids not right
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:55:04 pm »
Would appreciate any ideas.  Wondering myself if this is a selenium deficiency. Not come across this before, but maybe one of you have.

The AN kids born on Tuesday have been a bit wobbly.  They are getting a bit more active, but the worrying thing is, and I think the only way I can describe it, they look like they are walking on the spot.  Legs going up and down, but not getting anywhere - they also seem to walk backwards -  although they can walk forward.  Legs not bent in any way.

They are supposed to be going to the vets to be disbudded, but am reluctant for that to happen while they are not right.  If it is selenium, do I get an injection or something from the vet?

Like I said, any help would be great, as I have never had kids like this before.

Thanks!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Kids not right
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »
Absolutely no idea, would think this is one for the vet to check out.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Kids not right
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:26:10 pm »
I'd talk to the vet.

Selenium deficiency leads to white muscle disease, which might produce the symptoms you're talking about - and it's progressive so it needs treating. But selenium in too high doses is also toxic so you don't want to do that either.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS