Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Better weather - amazing laying!  (Read 1110 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Better weather - amazing laying!
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:19:54 pm »
Just had a stunning day of eggs - 20 in total from 23 potential layers. So only one hen, one duck and one goose didn't lay and I think they're all yet to come into lay this season. Given they've been chugging along at between 9 and 12 eggs a day for the last few weeks, it came as a complete shock! I guess the sudden hike in temperatures (down here at least - I know there is a weather divide across the UK) has had a positive effect. In fact I would imagine that'll be the best day of the year since the hens will probably all start going broody shortly.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Better weather - amazing laying!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
I thought my four youngsters weren't laying and thought they ought to be by now.  Got them end of last summer from Cameron aged about 15 weeks so well into PoL.

I keep them in teh shed till after 10 usually but still no eggs.  Today I sent teh dogs out in the paddock for a run and they came back with two eggs.  In a wee nest at the other side of the burn amongst my trees and shrubs.

So that's their free ranging curtailed for a while till they learn there is a nest in the shed!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Better weather - amazing laying!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »
Aha! It did seem odd when you posted a couple of days ago that they hadn't laid yet. Ironically just as I need it dry here to finish the ground preparation for the vineyard, the rain has come. But I'll be scattering your poppy seeds soon - the poppies from last year are already flowering!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS