Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exciting  (Read 3445 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Exciting
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »
My first duck egg, under a broody hen, has just hatched. I took a peek and it's looking well. I can hear its 'mum' talking to it as I go past the coop. It's sooo sweet.

There is a second egg half hatched. I'm not sure if anything if happening to the last egg.

My duck book says they don't need feeding for 24 hours but do I just take them away from their foster mum today?

At the moment they are in a nest box in the chicken coop.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Exciting
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »
Aww bless, that's lovely!

Why are you planning to take the chicks away from 'mum' out of interest?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
Leave them with her - she'll raise them as her own.  The only problem she'll have is when they go near water - she'll have an apoplectic fit  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »
Well they definitely need to come out of where they are as there isn't room for them and the other chickens.
So I have a box for them with a heat lamp. Should I move mum with them too then?

Every picture I see is of chicks in boxes on their own

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:41 pm »
If you take them away immediately they will need heat Bionic. She may also get rather upset. But keep them away from deep water as I heard of a hen that drowned trying to save her 'chicks'. Of course ducks are filter feeders, so they need some water to wash the food down. We put one in with chicks -what a mess.

Just read your post. She is going to need a lot more space than a box, so I guess you will have to separate them.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 03:39:40 pm »
Thanks Chris, I do have a heat lamp but there is also a hutch that I used for my chicks so I could look at resurrecting that. Off to give it a clean now.
Thanks

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 03:55:33 pm »
Leave them with her.   We know someone who had a goose hatch under an Old English Game banty.  Both were very happy.  When Goosy got too bit for the banty one of the hens took over.  Just make sure any access to water at the moment is shallow

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:33:44 pm »
My book recommends using a roller paint tray so that would be shallow and they also have a ramp to climb out.
I will buy one of those when I go into town tomorrow.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:20:46 pm »
My book recommends using a roller paint tray so that would be shallow and they also have a ramp to climb out.
I will buy one of those when I go into town tomorrow.

:thumbsup: that's our plan also!  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »
I think it would be cruel to separate them from Mum
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »
I've got a little house made from a pallet and OSB. OH made a little run for them to go out in. Think we need some pics.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »
Yep, leave with mum - that's the joy of broodies. Find some way of putting them into a small run and then you can just leave her to it. Don't worry about the paint tray for a couple of weeks. They don't need that much water to begin with - just enough to drink. They're not waterproof until they're fully feathered but they can swim whilst still fluffy - just not for too long and don't let them get chilled. I've got a broody with six goslings at the moment - they're five weeks old and all towering over her but she's still brilliant with them. They've just gone out in the open for the first time and she keeps them in close, takes them around, stops the ducks picking on them etc. Without a broody, you have so much else to worry about!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:28 am »
Yes - and the sound a broody hens makes when she's with her babies is one of the best noises in nature :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »
Mum was moved to the stable yesterday with her 2 ducklings. They all seem happy and the babies are eating and drinking ok.
Mum was sharing the sitting work with another broody who is now sitting on her own in the coop. I am thinking about putting a couple of dummy eggs under her for the time being and then getting some chicks or ducklings at the poultry fair on Sat. Do you think she will accept them?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS