Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: umbilical cord still there  (Read 2163 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
umbilical cord still there
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:25:35 pm »
Forgive me if already covered, but one of our lambs, only 2 weeks old, still has his umbilical cord hanging down.  He was 'iodined' twice, just after birth and about four hours later.  The cord is currently clearly 'wet' (although we haven't caught him to inspect whether it's actually wet at his navel.  The lamb seems well and happy, though.
So, do I just leave him to it, and let nature do its own thing, or should I be intervening in some way.....
All suggestions, as ever, hugely welcome.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: umbilical cord still there
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:36:18 pm »
If he's on wet grass it could take a while to dry up.  What we've done, successfully, in the past is tied a small ligature (OK, piece of heavy duty cotton thread) about 1.5 cm from the body, and re-iodined.  Some seem to come out with very thick umbilical cords and this is what we do for them, too.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »
Thanks Marches, will try to catch him (ha ha - pesky lambs) tomorrow.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:14:15 pm »
Yes, I was going to suggest the same, I tend to use one strand from a bit of baler twine (dipped in iodine) just ecause there is always some handy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS