Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sappy  (Read 1820 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Sappy
« on: April 25, 2014, 08:47:46 pm »
A ewe lamb wandered onto our land last year. We get the odd group of sheep and ring whoever we think they belong to if they don't leave but his single youngster no-one claimed..so we let her stay. Likely a beulah cross. the later in the year a welsh ram lamb appeared from a different direction, wandered my fields for a few days and then made it along the stream to ewe's field.

I could see I was going to get a rep for rustling so made extensive local nquiries with no-one claiming her - and many not being bothered to even come look.

Their field is too steep to quadbike across..just up and down and easy diagonals so catching them s hard. Every now and agin they wander into my djacent filed and with gtes closed i can finally catch them. But that field doesn't have water access or as much cover and is mowable for nice hay.

I manage to catch them every few months for anthelmintics, tidying up bottoms and we caught and had Rambo (original eh?) castrated last november.

I decided a couple of orphans as pet sheep might help in  flock of 4 so ut feelers out locally. Meanwhile OH found some orphans via internet..and didnt ask the right questions. She won't admit to how much she paid so it's obvious she got ripped. She's soft so the two turned into a free third one that had lost and eye, bits of ears and tongue to crows (now called DUDley) - all with orf.

the day they arrived my ewe was seen butting at something .. yes rambo must have done the deed the week before he was castrated and ewe was rejecting newborn. catching ewe was impossible that day so we now have 4 on the bottle.

Our home born 'twiglet' is isolated from contact with the Orfy one's until their lesions heal but can see them. She is imprinted on me at the moment so i have a jealous dog too..

Twiglet is stunning and granddaughter was promised a cuddle in bed if she was good..

Not sure the photos is showing:
http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Valerie_Knapp/media/twiglet_zpsc4675185.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sappy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 02:46:55 am »
When a pal and I were buying the moorland farm, we realised we'd need working collies.  I was given one - a decent worker but not top drawer, said the farmer - by a customer at the farmers' co-operative where I worked, and wanted some help learning how to work with him.  Our local fella was busy making videos for TV and suggested I contact his trainer, who was up north where I was headed.  That was Derek Scrimgeour.  I called Derek and explained the situation.  He roared with laughter and said, "Dinnae ye go telling everyone you've taken a free dug.  They'll be queuing up to gi' ye free dugs!  :roflanim:"

Now all your neighbours know you'll take in any waifs, pgkevet...  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:45:56 am »
Ah Twiglet is lovely  :love: When it comes to rescuing strays I am a dafty too  :innocent:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:56 am »
Ahh, glad I am not the only softee on here!!   :roflanim:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:37:01 pm »
I'm a sucker for anything broken or rejected too ::) (at least that's what I tell the OH :roflanim: )

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »
hmm sounds like the beginings of quite a sizeable flock of sheep  ;D I only wanted a couple to keep the grass down....... I'm up to around thirty now ::)

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »
ahh, sounded like a horror story but the smile in photo of your daughter makes it all worthwhile.
 :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS