Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Sugarbeet  (Read 1669 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Sugarbeet
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:23 pm »
Nearly ready to sow my sugarbeet for this year .
I go through 2lb of sugar per week , but i do walk 6 miles per day, everyday , plus i dig the plot etc for 1-2 hours per day , carry water , (20 x 3 gal buckets) 100 yds from the river to water the veg and for the horses , cut wood , carry stones etc , so i reckon i burn off 99.9% of the calories  .
So , to get my 2lb per week fix i need to process 22lb of sugarbeet  per week , that's 10-15 beets , if i get 10% of the 18% sugar available in them .
I hour of boiling ( rolling boil ) strain and then simmer to reduce , then spread and cool the syrup  and then crush the crystalized syrup and i  have brown sugar .
 To get white refined sugar you need to add a chemical and then use a centrifuge to get the rest of the molasses out . I don't want to use the chemical ( can't remember which one ) , and i don't have a centrifuge , or the leccy to run one , so brown sugar will do me .
I hope to get more bees again , and will sow some stevia plants , so i will have an alternative to sugar beet for my sugar , just as well , as i would need to grow 1000 beets otherwise . Mind you , the remaining 90% of the beet after processing out the sugar is animal feed .
I will most likely grow a couple of ton next year , but not in the veg plot , for stock feed , and my sugar as an asside .

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: . Sugarbeet
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:24:27 pm »
Sweet cicely can be used for sweetening, too - but it does have an aniseedy flavour...

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:35:55 pm »
Oooh , not sure if i could keep that mix down for long , aniseed and coffee ? lol . I do like aniseed though , so worth thinking about Ina   

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: . Sugarbeet
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:36 am »
Yeah, depends on what you use it for. I've had it in my last garden and used it for rhubarb on occasion. Don't have any now, should really get myself some more...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS