Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Culling chicks with problems  (Read 2299 times)

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
Culling chicks with problems
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:18:13 pm »
 What's the most humane way to deal with a chick thats not formed properly? Just had one that I didn't want to suffer, and there's another lingering in its shell that may have the same problem- an unformed umbilical? I was reading on this site about the possibility using metacam for adults. Is there something so it could just go to sleep?

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Culling chicks with problems
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:22:12 pm »
just read some American websites saying that they can recover from this. Any experienced chicken hatchers still awake out there?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
Do you mean the umbilical is still hanging out a bit when they hatch? I've had that - in the fact the goose today had it - I think just because I've hurried them out a bit too fast - and it does get absorbed if you leave them. Certainly wouldn't cull yet. I've not had a cull a chick - the only one I was really worried about got grabbed by a cat before I had the chance. But I believe there are special pincers you can buy for dispatching chicks - no idea how effective they are.

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:40:57 pm »
Thanks HesterF. Unfortunately a neighbour was here when that one hatched and as they are always hatching birds I took her advice that it was suffering. Feel sick with myself now.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:44:46 pm »
Well she saw it so she could well have been right. It's just that absorbing the yolk through the umbilical is about the last thing that happens before they hatch - along with cutting off the veins that run all round the inside of the membrane - so sometimes they haven't got the timing quite right (or I've intervened enough to throw them).

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:57:31 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I can only hope that she knew what she was talking about, and that I've learnt something.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:02:30 am »
the ones iv had that have been slow to hatch and late to absorb the final bits of yolk, and have a saggy bum etc have died slowly. healthy chicks are up and away quickly. i think your friend did the right thing. its part of hatching really, but still sad.

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:10:34 am »
Thank you for the reassuring post Shygirl. These are the last 2 and have lingered, unlike the other 6. So difficult finding and trying to do the right thing sometimes.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:23:19 am »
there was a thread on dispatching chicks recently. i think pliers to the neck was one of the methods recommended.
its very rare to hatch out eggs and not to lose something.
my best hatches were when i have left them alone totally, as im sure lifting the lid and peeping effects humidity etc. transferring from a incubator to a hatcher would maybe reduce losses but you would have to hatch out alot to justify that investment maybe.
i never solved the problem with slow hatchers or saggy bums tho  :hug:

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:39:26 am »
I needed that hug... The last one has finally hatched and it does have a bit of a droop but nothing like the coils of the last one. I'm going to leave well alone and see how it fares in the morning  :fc: Night night

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS