Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sigh..  (Read 2030 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
sigh..
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:14 am »
I don't have the time/inclination (usually) to bother with flower growing here ...there's enough to do with my land. But this year I thought I'd make up a few tubs and baskets for a splash of summer colour. In my usual mean way I grew from seed.. geraniums, petunia and lobelia and tubbed them up..in the greenhouse until nicely coming into flower.

Out they came last week - looked good for a while until the chicken decided how much they liked eating them........

....at least they spend less time in the strawberries....

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: sigh..
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:15:07 am »
I know that feeling ::) .  I love to see my :chook: :chook: around the garden but it is a constant battle to keep them off anything precious,  Mrs Fox has taken care of that problem though :'(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:59 am »

Oh how infuriating  :rant:

If they're not completely pecked out below the first shoots, and if you protect them, then they will grow back, a bit later than usual of course.

No poultry or other livestock is allowed into my flower garden - which is easy here as there is no access from the paddocks.  When we had muscovies they would fly over the roof to get to the flowers  :&>
There are a few poisonous plants in there so it's strictly no sheep, no exceptions.

I have other places I would like to put some tubs but they will be eaten so no point.

Hanging baskets would be fine, for next year?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:08:58 pm »
Apart from the odd escapee this year until we could distinguish the rescues and know which were flying out, our chooks are banned from free roaming between spring and autumn. They have a party through autumn and winter clearing all the veg areas ready for spring.

I'd go for hanging baskets too if you arenfree ranging the chooks.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:37:35 pm »
I did put up a couple of hanging baskets too...
What I'll have to think about next year is flowers chooks don't like since OH is slightly eccentric (nuts) over her rescue hens - checks on them all several times a day - under hedges, edge of woodland, anywhere in 3 acres of curtilage and obviously they have a heater in their hen house for cold winter nights.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS