Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time pigs!  (Read 7373 times)

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: First time pigs!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »
I would say start with 2 or 3 - if something goes wrong (like me losing all my meat due to a liar of a butcher - £400 down the drain) then its a lot easier to recover.  I would treat it as a test run.  Don't get uncastrated boars, however appealing the price - they are nasty and take away the enjoyment.  Have fun!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 09:22:37 am »
Intact boar weaners are fine. Better boars because you have to send them off.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »
Planning on getting our first pig/s. The crofters have finally talked me into it. So at the moment looking for some thing to house them in and get an electric fence. Three of us will get a pig each and fatten them up. One of the guys is an excrofter who has done it all before but now sadly doesn't have the land any more. So he will be the sort of supervisor. The other has kept pig's before and will get one for here to be in are little gang and then there is me  :o  Who will do the day today stuff that they tell me. Will keep check the post's and asking stuff on here so I don't look to much a fool :dunce:

rob
I am going to live the dream

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »
Intact boar weaners are fine. Better boars because you have to send them off.
I agree/ always had intact boar weaners and no prob. you want to avoid mixing genders as this can cause more problems and increase possibility of the mythical boar taint.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS