Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How can I get someone to use my land (for free!)  (Read 2420 times)

jayykayy

• Joined Apr 2014
How can I get someone to use my land (for free!)
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »
Hi all - we have recently moved to a house on a 1.6 acre plot of which one acre is now fenced. We would like to find someone who would like to keep sheep / goats on there and wouldn't look to charge anything - but I can't find anyone looking for land!
I have registered on Sheepkeep and have trawled the internet without any joy.
Any suggestions? We are just outside Wye, in Kent.
Thanks!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: How can I get someone to use my land (for free!)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:42 pm »
I'd snap it up if I were anywhere near you :)

Try finding your local agricultural store and putting a card on their notice board.  And/or find a local farmer, they might want to use it or might be able to suggest someone.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:35:38 pm »
One acre is a tiny plot and is certainly not going to attract a farmer.  A smallholder with just a handful of sheep might like to put them on over the summer but otherwise try people with a couple of pet lambs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:40:41 pm »
Not really useful for goats, as they will need a shelter/goat shed on the field - also you would need to have water connection and ideally independent access- otherwise any person renting it would have to traipse to your backdoor tap all the time and possibly block your driveway etc etc.

Maybe a local smallholder who is on the lookout for a summer field for the tups? Around here you se them in odd little fields over summer.

Why not put your own livestock onto it?

jayykayy

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 01:46:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies. We would put a shelter in to accommodate goats and there is already a water connection / independent access via a secure gate.

Long term plan would be to put our own livestock on there, but with two very young children, a new house and no experience it seems like too much to take on straight away.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:22 pm »
Long term plan would be to put our own livestock on there, but with two very young children, a new house and no experience it seems like too much to take on straight away.

Very sensible - if you can find someone, you'll be able to get some experience before embarking on your own livestock keeping.

:fc: that you find someone. Like foobar, I'd use it but Angus is a bit far to commute  ;D

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:27 pm »
Your local vets will probably be able to suggest someone who'd be interested in your paddock...and be pleasant reliable & good with livestock!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:18 pm »
I would knock on the door of the nearest farmer and let them know, im sure by the next day the whole area will know its available.   :innocent:
ideal for a couple of rams.

jayykayy

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:51 am »
Thanks all - some great suggestions!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS