Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP!!!  (Read 9298 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
HELP!!!
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:06:28 pm »
About 3 days ago, a pregnant feral cat from the nearby farm, ended up at ours,  since our cats both passed away early this year we have decided to keep her, 
but the past few hours she has started acting really strangely and is constantly looking in the corners and dark areas of the shed, is this a sign that she is getting ready to give birth, also she is Making really throaty moans and is panting, she has food and water down all the time, what else can do do to help her,  :cat:

thanks
 Cameron

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:23:57 pm »
Does she have a nice cosy box to sleep in - she will look for somewhere to have her kittens.  Don't worry she will manage it herself.  You don't need to do anything.  But she may find a corner where you can't reach her, so don't let her outside..  She will need plenty of good food and water near her once she has them, and peace and quiet to nurse them.  Cats are much more independent than dogs.  But if she seems to be pushing for more than an hour give your vet a phone for advice.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:29:53 pm »
She has several baskets/boxes made up for her to sleep in, varied bedding, she seems to like the woodent dog crate that was filled with hay, is this OK for her to give birth in,  what sort of foods should i get her, she's had things like tuna and tined meat we got from Gran (improvised as she was unexpected), but I'm  going shopping for her in my school lunch tomorrow,

very badly written but I'm  really nervous

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:35:44 pm »
Don't worry, Cameron, she'll be fine.  Wherever she chooses to have her kittens is where she will have them.  Cats do not do as we tell them, they do as they wish.  Buy a few tins of the best quality cat food you can buy but you can give her tuna and other meats if she likes them.  She will probably stop eating now until after the kits are born.  Just watch she doesn't get outside or she will dig a hole for them.  You should get an old basin and tear up some newspaper as a litter tray for her.  Probably best to shut her in the room where the dog crate and straw is so she doesn't change her mind and go onto your bed to have them lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:39:31 pm »
theres no chance of her getting into my room, one she'd have to fight the dog for it, and two she's shut in the shed so fingers crossed all goes well,
is goats milk sutiable for her?, our goats are producing more then we can sell

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »
Cameron, look at this as preparation for the future. You'll be a great dad - you're suitably terrified.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:46 pm »
If she normally drinks milk then goats milk will be fine.  But not all cats can tolerate milk - has she had it before?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »
I have no idea if she has had it before, but she seems to be ok, she just gets a little in a dish in the morning and in the evening, i
t feels like she's part of the family even though we've only had her 3 days

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 09:23:49 pm »
Sounds like you're doing a great job Cameron with remote midwifery from Annie.
If your new friend has been living wild for a while she will be hungry for all you can offer and will be less discerning about types of food than a pampered pet. She sounds like a cat of good taste having chosen such a good host.
The main thing now for her will be peace and a sense of security.
In my experience cats are excellent intuitive mothers and you will have a lovely few weeks ahead of you
kirsty

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 09:34:23 pm »
Goats milk is ok for her, try not to give cats cows milk as many are intolerant. Another reason goats are great - their milk is better.
I'm sure the cat will be fine Cameron, just give her some peace and quiet so she is nice and relaxed for giving birth
Keep us informed
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:12 pm »
Cameron, that is a very lucky cat, having you taking such good care of her!!

I have a lot of farm cats, and they are always having litters of kittens.  I feed them all in an old caravan in the field, and there are lots of cat beds and cushions for them.  But all the cats choose to have their kittens in one of the cupboards in the caravan!!!  They all manage perfectly well, so don't worry.  Don't try and touch or move the kittens, or the cat will think you want to harm them, and try and move them.  Also, sometimes mine have one or two kittens, come and eat their food, and then when I check later there are more kittens arrived!!!  So, they may not all arrive at the same time.  Most of my cats have their kittens very early in the morning, so I have never seen them being born.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 07:27:52 pm »
Now she has decided to stay i need a name for her,

my sister and i are in competition but cant decide, the cat is a small dark grey, with brown stripes, white ears and 4 white socks, (---suggestions welcome :cat:

She hasn't done anything yet,
 but i don't think she's long off,  :cat: :cat: :cat:

i will try and post a pic eventually,

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:21:06 pm »
I'd go for the really obvious - SOCKS  :cat:  ;D
I hope everything goes well for you - keep us posted with developments

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »
Ok, that's more than 24 hours - what is she doing now - I do hope she hasn't been pushing all that time. 

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »
Still no kittens, must have been a false alarm, but it's not far off,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS