Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder filling up  (Read 2046 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Udder filling up
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:48:05 am »
Our Alpine goat has one udder filling up with milk ? She has not kidded this year. Was milked last couple of years.
If l strip it out will she start to come in milk ? Not experienced this before  :thinking:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Udder filling up
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:10:57 pm »
do you mean she isnt pregnant?
i had a gg who came into milk every spring and summer even though we never bred her. we had to milk her as otherwise she would be bulging.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:31:33 pm »
I think that's a maiden milker - plumbseverywhere has one on here - if she doesn't come on for this post then may be worth sending her a PM.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »
Our Alpine goat has one udder filling up with milk ? She has not kidded this year. Was milked last couple of years.
If l strip it out will she start to come in milk ? Not experienced this before  :thinking:

If you want to milk her, yes start stripping her out twice a day and her milk yield should increase. She will also need appropriate amounts of concentrate/dairy nuts.

If you don't want to milk her take her food back to only hay and water for a while and keep her on a maintenance ration (I take it she's an adult and not a growing goatling?).

But hey, it's free milk!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »
Our maiden has come into milk for 3 years running and her udder has just started increasing again for this season. We choose to milk her and have a yield of about 9 pints a day at her peak. 
Like Anke says - its free milk and great if you want it!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:20:03 pm »
Thanks all  :thumbsup: Will start milking her tomorrow, I love the milk, hence me milking her the previous years.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:26:15 pm »
Wish mine would produce milk without all the hassle of taking them to the male and then the kidding. On the other hand, I do like goat curry.  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS