Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yows and lambs enjoying the sun  (Read 4001 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Yows and lambs enjoying the sun
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:25 pm »
All lambs born, everyone out in the nursery field  ;D And it's sunny  :sunshine:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Yows and lambs enjoying the sun
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 01:52:16 pm »
Lovely!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:03:09 pm »
They all look so lovely :) I wish I had gotten some katmogets this year!!

I have 3 more to lamb still and one of them is a katmoget so fingers crossed  :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »
 :fc:

My tup was a katmoget, so most of my lambs are. I'm going for gulmogets, I've got three ewes/hoggs now, and the moorit gulmoget in the blue sky pic, has had a very nice grey gulmoget tup.

So I think I am going to keep him, to put onto my shearlings, and then get a Blue Texel to put onto the others next year, and see what happens. I'm hoping the blue recessive in the Texel will still allow the lambs to be coloured - but with Texel conformation and finishing. We'll see.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »
I see! How lovely! I want my next tup to be a moorit :)

Blue texel should produce some lovely crosses! they are a fab sheep  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »
Did you sponge your ewes? And if yes did they all lamb within a couple of days?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »
I did sponge them, in two batches. The lambing was pretty much within two days each time, with 48 hours in-between, whereas I'd left 4 days between the sponging.

I shall do it again. As far as the sheep went, it's limited 'going to bed at midnight and getting up again at 5am' to about 8 days. And something has been going on for most of that time. Last year, I took a fortnight off, got up and did all the checking and nothing happened for 10 days, then they started to lamb as I went back to work.......

The goats haven't quite co-operated but they're pretty much at the same time this year too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:32:45 pm »
Lovely pics - lovely sheep! 

I'm glad the sponging worked for you; much more satisfactory this year, by the sound of it.

I love the idea of the Blue Texel - the fleeces should be nice too.  You may interest me in some of your ewe lambs if so ;) (if you're interested in selling them for breeding, that is.)

My little fleece flock, having delivered 75% females last year (3 of 4), has reversed the trend and this year I have 7 boys and just 3 girls.  Probably just as well - it defers the hard decisions of who stays and who goes ;)

At the moment I am thinking I'll get a pure Shetland for them this time - shame your Jack is related to my 3 hoggs, he's giving nice lambs :)

Here are Pickle and Pie - mum is a Shetland x Castlemilk from Alma, grandpa is Alma's Jack Frost.  Other players include Charollais, Beltex, BFL and Swaledale!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:10:21 pm »
Thanks Jaykay - mine were sponged as well, all NINE of them. (Decided to have a bit of a break from commercial sheep and only kept Shetlands and my Gotland crosses, used Shetland tups on them), and I wans't keen to get up at 4.30am every morning for about 5 weeks...

Mine are due to start on Friday the first 5 that is, unfortunately Tuppy had to have a repeat on four of them... But I am still hoping to have it fairly condensed  :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:15 pm »
They're cute Sally!

The tup was Smokey not Jack. Is he too closely related? Cos I have a couple of very nice tup lambs if not, selection of colours?

Oh, that's a pain Anke. Fortunately mine all 'held' the first time.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »
Lovely piccies, love the fleece colours of mums and lambs  :spin: oh and a panda amongst them  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS