Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GFD keeps going lame  (Read 2478 times)

Lorrie66

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Near Buckingham in Bucks
GFD keeps going lame
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:23 am »
Hi there

I have a GFD that is coming up to one year old. Back at the end of Feb he started limping so I treated with antibiotic spray and checked his feet – nothing seemed too wrong though and I thought a little bit of scald maybe.
By early march he was still limping and I also noticed he had caught his ear tag on the same side at the same time so treated that with spray.
Still limping a week later so called the vet out. Nothing too untoward , a little heat in the foot,  so gave some anti inflamms & antibiotics and he seemed to improve ( not limping as much)
By end of march was limping again more pronounced ..... could see no issues with feet so re-called vet.
Checked shoulder and leg in case of other damage but showed nothing . Gave another anti inflamm and another shot of long lasting antibiotics to see if that knocked whatever it is on the head.
Again he improved for a short while.
We are now Mid April and he has got worse again – the same leg.

I only have 4 sheep  to keep grass down for my horses. A couple have suffered this winter with scald & a little foot rot due to continued wet – but now the ground has improved and they are in a new paddock

I have called vet to pop out tomorrow ... but anyone have any other ideas what this maybe ? I wonder if it is the anti inflamms that seem to work for a while and then wear off?

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: GFD keeps going lame
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:16 pm »
Try footvax

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »
Footrot wil lshow up as a whitish, cheesy base to the foot, once you clean off any mud.  There's also a distinct smell.  Heat in the foot suggests perhaps a grumbling inflamation that's suppressed but not eliminated by the doses of anti-inflammatory and a/bs.  Are the a/bs something like Alamycin LA or 5 days of Pen & Strep, to maintain the level of a/bs in the system for a worthwhile period?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »
I have given repeated Micotil injections on cases such as these with success. One of these was a GFD too

Lorrie66

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Near Buckingham in Bucks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »
Thanks all - tried Micotil this time -   fingers crossed seems to have done the job at last.... Rhubarb was racing about the paddocks this last week and its been 2 weeks now since injection

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS