Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slop  (Read 7053 times)

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: slop
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 09:17:12 am »
Shetlandpaul is quite correct but I would not be quite so harsh on the Whitehall-based pen-pushers. In 2001, the rules seemed about right until those criminal idiots in Northumberland caused chaos and misery for literally thousands of livestock keepers and the entire food industry. So they tightened them up because there's always some clever sod trying to push the boundaries. And yes, they do apply to everyone, even those just keeping a pet pig because once Foot & Mouth is out of the bag, it's going to affect everyone for miles around, not just you. So please, just think about what you're doing because breaking these rules could be disatrous for all of us.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:21:02 am by Mr Pig »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 11:18:27 am »
i was in the ribble valley in the spring following the foot in mouth. there was nothing sadder than seeing miles of pasture empty. lots of farmers left farming after that and i bet there were a few deaths as well. so please feed them healthy fresh fruit and veg but get to know the rules.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 01:40:15 pm »
I reckon theres many that feed scraps to their animals, silly people!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 03:13:14 pm »
Bit off topic - sorry - but if pigs and cloven footed animals can get F&m from eating meat, why is it still safe for humans.  Thinking of BSE (and I know most humans dont have cloven feet)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 06:18:09 pm »
humans can get a mild form of foot and mouth there were a few cases in the last outbreak.  a lot of the animals would have recovered but to keep the f&m free status they decided on the mass cull.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 07:21:21 pm »
(and I know most humans dont have cloven feet)

You must know, as we say here 'The divil (devil) himself!

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 01:56:29 am »
WOW

I think I touched a Nerve

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 11:12:44 am »
WOW

I think I touched a Nerve

No you didn't! 

You raised a question and the experts on here have advised that there are regulations.  No nerve jangling just facts.  Good thread - so thanks for raising it.  I don't have/not interested in rearing pigs, but even I found it interesting.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 07:21:36 am »
 ???? ???

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:27 pm »
I think its a shame laws have to be created to account for all the numpties out there who will happily feed a ham sandwich to a pig.  If only more people had common sense and then the laws would'nt need to be so strident.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS