Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wet felting workshop  (Read 7951 times)

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
Wet felting workshop
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
Spent an interesting day at Guild learning how to make wet felted objects. I hadn't intended to get involved but there was a spare place so I decided to have a go.

We made a small vase shape and a small bowl. It was surprisingly hard work and involved some water and quite a lot of soap as well as rolling squeezing and rubbing the items to felt them.

I'm pleased I learned the basics and allthough I probably won't make many felted objects it's good to try something new.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Wet felting workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:09 pm »
It is great fun, but hard work.   I would like to be able to make felt hats, but presumably you need a head form. Once the hats were wet felted then I could needle felt flowers on  :)
Imagine making a whole yurt, although they do use horses or 4x4s to do the rolling.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:09 am »
Fleecewife, you can make a hat using a balloon or football that you can pump up and let down.
There are several u tube videos on it if you want to give it a go.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:36 am »
Fleecewife, you can make a hat using a balloon or football that you can pump up and let down.
There are several u tube videos on it if you want to give it a go.

Thanks Bionic - I'll have a look for those  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:57:26 pm »
I've tried wet felting but find it hard going and my hands don't like it much. Apparently, though, you can leave it and come back to it later so I'm going to try that sometime. I've not tried shapes like bowls though.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:34:45 am »
I used to do a lot but can't manage in cold weather with my hands so don't do much now.

I've made a hat off a flat template before, but just acquired a ball recently and had a go at a narrow topped round vase like vessel that way.  Both work, but doing it here on my own is rare, going to the shop gives a plan and company and it seems easier :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:42 am »
I wasn't sure what I would make from felt that I would use, a yurt would take too long to make .

I intend to try knitting something large and felting it to size in the washing machine, probably a bag because it doesn't have to fit , the eventual size would simply dictate what I could put in it.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »
I rather like the idea of knitting overly large socks then shrinking them down to make slippers. ...Think I might need to learn to knit first though !!  :knit:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:07:13 pm »
I have just finished knitting a bag that will be felted tomorrow in the washing machine. I'm going to have a go at lining it as well.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:37 am »
Piccies please when its finished  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »
Piccies please when its finished

Seconded  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 02:51:54 pm »
It's been through the washing machine twice and is now hanging up to dry. I'll get my camera out tomorrow.

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 09:24:25 pm »
Looking foreword to pictures.

I'm sure I've seen an article on making felt boots, I think on the downsizer site.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:08 pm »
Catching up here...

I did a wet felting workshop at my own Guild last year.  We wrapped our felt around a balloon, then burst the balloon to make a vessel!

It was great fun.

I took BFL tops, which felted pretty much as soon as I touched them once I'd wetted and soaped them.  I felt like a fraud as everyone else huffed and puffed, and kept on rubbing and pressing, took breaks, asked the tutor if they were doing it right...

I was rather taken aback at how much fibre it takes to make a reasonably thick felt.  I do like the final result but at the moment I feel I'd rather spin  :spin: the fibre than felt it. 

I really love the idea of felt art pictures, though, (wet felting rather more than needlefelting, although you can add or refine detail with a needle later) and will definitely have a go at that.  I bought a kit at Woolfest last year and really want to have used it before Woolfest this year!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:44 pm »
Looking foreword to pictures.

I'm sure I've seen an article on making felt boots, I think on the downsizer site.

Ok, I haven't actually taken any yet. I hadn't heard of Downsizer but I have now joined. Those felt books look great.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS