Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen problem, lost toe nail, treatment advice.  (Read 2708 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Hen problem, lost toe nail, treatment advice.
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:27:43 pm »
One of my hens has just lost a tie nail. Not known this happen before. Think it may have got caught in a crack in paving slab and been ripped off? It's like a pale, bloody cone underneath, which looks sensitive.

I'm pretty sure I saw her just after it happened. Bleeding a fair bit. I've washed it though it looked clean, applied wound powder and a plaster to keep out dirt, but it's still bleeding a bit. Hen is bothered, was limping, but not in agony. She's walking better now with the plaster on.

Any advise to stop the bleeding faster? Can't elevate it :-\

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Hen problem, lost toe nail, treatment advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:46:27 am »
Hope she's alright Steph Hen. We bind foot injuries with lint covered with micropore tape. It falls off on its own after a few days. I've not heard of that happening before either. But we had a cockerel who snapped his toe nail in the coop somehow and there was an awful lot of blood.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:19:59 am »
Had it happen to a couple of quail. Can only assume they caught them under wire or in cracks in their pen. Relatively speaking a lot of blood but they recovered fine with no treatment. Well, we did bathe the first one when we first noticed it but decided that the handling was more traumatic for the dippy little thing than the injury.  ::) Kept an eye on her for infection etc. but no problems.

Guessing your hen will be okay  :fc:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:00 am »
Thanks for replies! Yeah, it stopped bleeding, plaster is still holding on and hen acting fine. I was worried it would keep on bleeding, but seems fine, eating, not limping.
In the hills: most of my hens are quite tame, although they don't like being picked up, when I bring one in the house and set it at the side of the sink she doesn't mind me poking about with it.

Will the claw grow back or will it just harden up a bit? I'm so happy it's dry and dusty outside and not all wet and muddy!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:19 am »
Yes, my hens are very tame but the quail are crazy!  ::) ;D

Think it depends how far back the damage has occurred ie. if root bed is affected. Our quail didn't regrow but the end thickened and hardened.

Dry and dusty! Where are you? Not Powys  ::) ;D

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:19:44 am »
I'm always amazed how lovely the weather on the east coast of Scotland is! (compared to South Wales, Yorkshire and Central Scotland). There's still a few half inch remnant puddles on the lane but the rest is dry for the birds to scratch around.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:44:12 am »
 Glad the it's getting better. Stockholm tar would have probably worked too.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 10:09:41 pm »
We had a favourite overly confident hen called Stumpy who came to us minus half a toe, it was healed when we got her and didn't seem to bother her, it never grew back.  So long as you clean it just now until it heals it should be fine, she'll no doubt rearrange her scratching technique to suit.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:08:20 am »
Yes, she seems ok. Cleaned it again and new plaster, but have taken that off as well now. It looks scabby, but she's acting normally... I notice she's not scratching the ground much, but otherwise normal, so will keep an eye and think shell be fine. Thanks for replies!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS