Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blood in droppings  (Read 4830 times)

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Blood in droppings
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:10:31 pm »
It seems to be one thing after another here at the moment! I've just been down the field to check on the girls and there are two lots of droppings near the food trough (I've looked around and can't find any more) which have small clots of blood in. None of the four ewes seem poorly, two have lambed and two are still waiting. It's definitely not lamb droppings. The droppings seem perfectly normal otherwise, not soft or runny. They were all wormed/fluked with Combinex about a week and a half ago. I was wondering if it might have been blood from straining to poo, if you know what I mean? Things often get a bit like that in late pregnancy for women, not sure if it applies to sheep too, as they don't have the same downwards pressure thing going on like we do!

They are all Heptavac P'd but I'm wondering if there might be something else going on? I'm a little concerned as my lambs are only a week or so old so don't want them getting ill  :unwell: It would be a fairly simple matter to get a sample to give to the vets but they aren't open until Monday so not sure if it would be too old by then?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Blood in droppings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »
Most likely from the two who've lambed, still bleeding a bit?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 05:21:44 pm »
Test if the droppings taste of mint....
If they do call me

If i started tasting sheep poo i think the men in white coats would be called, not you!!   ;)

Reason for tasting of mint???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »
We had something similar a few weeks ago - I took some photos and sent them to my vet who said it was intestinal lining that gets kicked off by the movement of the lambs. I've just found the photo on my phone. I'll attach it if I can.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:15:35 pm »
Thanks Rosemary that looks exactly like what I found. One of the two remaining ewes has gone into labour in the past hour or so so perhaps it was her lambs squirming to get into position!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 06:39:18 pm »
Glad it was helpful. I nearly freaked when I saw this - I thought it must be some terrible worm infection.

Oh, and apologies to anyone eating their tea and reading this thread  ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »
Lol, that would be me  :D Never mind, glad to know what this is, in advance of maybe finding it, I think it would freak me out too!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS