Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changing from pellets to meal.  (Read 1801 times)

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
Changing from pellets to meal.
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »
I'm thinking of changing over from feeding bagged sow / grower pellets, to a meal, from a local mill.

The meal is a mixture of Barley, Wheat, Soya and some nuts (with added bits etc). 18 % Protein.

The thing is, I've always followed a strict weighing policy with the pigs feed, to avoid the traditional breed over fatness issue.

However, i'm unsure of how the quantities would differ in changing over from the pellets to the meal. I know that it tends to require less as it puts bulk on quicker. . . . . but am unsure!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Changing from pellets to meal.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:48:23 pm »
I feed a similar meal to that and I stick to the 1LB per month up to 4LB and it works fine, 18% protein is a good all round feed and all mine get it from 2-3 weeks to adult breeding pigs.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

I might try it for a while and see how it goes, it would halve my feed bill  :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
Sounds a bargain but watch out nearer slaughter time - wheat will put on fat rather than flesh as growth rate slows.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:26:41 am »
Sounds a bargain but watch out nearer slaughter time - wheat will put on fat rather than flesh as growth rate slows.

Wheat is better  for smaller pigs and barley as they get older. Our diets consist of Lupins, Barley , wheat and Canola and oil. Wheat, Fish meal, Soya meal, Lupins and canola. for the younger pigs and not barley.
When changing over mix them together for a few days in order to help them adjust  to the change better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS