Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: muck spreading  (Read 5024 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
muck spreading
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »
Are there any regulations about when you can spread muck?

Has anyone used the ground driven type of muck spreader that can be towed behind a 4x4? Are they any good?

I really need to get on and spread the ever increasing heap, I'd like to put it on the hay field when the sheep come off at the end of the month. ATM I have a small livestock trailer I can takle the top off and a wheel barrow and shovel, The heap looks rather big to do by hand but it may have to be that way as I can't afford machinery just now.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Re: muck spreading
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:23 am »
Haven't used muck spreader of any type, we put poo in IBC tanks with top cut off, top up with water then take the liquid fert off at the tap, you could then just make up a small tank with holes in to put on the back of your trailer.
I have a set of the 10mm garden sprinklers set into a 1 metre straight length of water pipe, I pump the water/fert with a 12v diesel pump, all 15mm, I tow it with a westwood

Tip put a large ball of chicken wire on the inside of the tap to prevent blockages

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:59 am »
Are there any regulations about when you can spread muck?

If you are in a Nitrate Vulnerable Zone, then yes indeedy. 

Start with http://www.nutrientmanagement.org/

You can check the NVZ maps to see if you are in one.

Click on 'New to all this?', and look for the link to 'Think Manures'
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:32 am »
Hi SIN

Thank you for the above link.
Fascinating.

SV

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:46:34 pm »
Hi,how did you spread this in the end I'm in a simular position to you and have no muck spreader.I do have a tractor.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »
I spread our muck with a dumper tipping the bucket slowly as I drove around then followed with a chain harrow. It all disappeared within a short time.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »
I didn't, it's still on the to do list. ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS