Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scour in lambs, yet another..  (Read 2884 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Scour in lambs, yet another..
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:49:57 am »

Four lambs at 2 weeks old, smallest one developed scour & vet prescribed Bimastat and a pain easing jab as he was miserable with it  Two days later all had scour but was given enough Bitmastat to treat all but no improvement.  Rang vet again who prescribed Halocur and Noroclav for 3 days.  'Liquid' scour stopped and all lambs are looking fine jumping/skipping around but all are very ‘loose’ and not the little packages that would be normal.  The poo is consistency of cream, mustard to greeny brown in colour.  Feeding on cold addlib lamlac which I have now diluted the advised concentration but with the addition of yogurt, creep and hay they are nibbling at, not wanting to aggravate things with grass so for the last week housed in a shed.  The only thing different this year to previous ones is the bedding is hay as I couldn’t get hold of any small straw bales.
Anything else I could try to dry them up or am I being impatient at just over a week of medication? 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Scour in lambs, yet another..
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:45:21 am »
Tame lambs often have a mustardy scour at that age, as they eat more hay the rumen will develop and bind everything up so to speak. As long as he's drinking/eating and doesn't look hunched up in his back he should be ok especially as he's had a course of medication already.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:46:34 am »
we had one bad scourer year before last, got some bimamix from the vet. for calf scour.  it worked, ask vet  but ive also read about putting some powdered colostrum in the milk at diet change time, we are seeing no scour but i think it would be something we would do if need be x

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »
Thanks Twizzel, hard to be patient when you’re not sure of the outcome.  I was concerned because previous ‘pet’ lambs were a fairly solid from the start.

Hellybee, stored for future reference but hoping not to be needing it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS