Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy care x dorper =?  (Read 3044 times)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
Easy care x dorper =?
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:24 am »
Their are some easy care ewes available near me I'm considering but really keen on Dorpers but a bit too pricy ATM , I know of a dorper ram lamb available near too, question is if I cross the easy care with the dorper till I get some dorper girls will the offspring still be self shedding?

Mandy

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Easy care x dorper =?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:57:07 am »
A dorper should shed, but they don't all shed so you need to ask the breeder what theirs are like. In breeding for the show ring some breeders have deprioritized the self shedding issue despite dorpers being hair sheep! So just double check, as long as it's a shedding line you should have no issues!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:10:45 am »
Dorpers will;

Improve carcase yield and conformation
Increase fat (not always a bad thing)
Decrease shedding ability by roughly 15 to 20% (shedding score analysis)
Increase foot problems by lots

I used some Dorper genetics in the mix and went from 2 cases of footrot + 20 cases scald to 120 cases foot rot and uncountable scald in 1 generation
Remove the Dorper influence and the problem disappeared

They are bred for an arid environment and suffer in our wet climes (and I am predominantly on free draining chalk)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:39:30 pm »
This is true, their feet were made for dry hard wearing ground in south Africa not rainy old blighty although I am sure that will change as British breeders select for better feet...

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:56:54 pm »
This is true, their feet were made for dry hard wearing ground in south Africa not rainy old blighty although I am sure that will change as British breeders select for better feet...

the trouble being that the breeders I have visited tend to use a regular footbath instead of selection as (and I quote) 'they are too valuable to cull'  ::)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
Thanks guys, as half my paddock is underwater ATM you've given me food for thought, will speak to the breeder

Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS