Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any one on here do suckling pigs  (Read 2461 times)

cwmfarm123

• Joined Nov 2013
any one on here do suckling pigs
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:52:23 am »
Hi guys
Do anyone of you do suckling pigs, been asked a few times for them over the years.
We have a few going in next week to try them, to me suckling pigs means 8 weeks, and mine are tamworth, osb so smaller than the average commercial breeds.
They going to average out 6 - 8 kg which seem to be a lot smaller than some advertertised dead weight.
But they are free range, prices anyone ?
Thanks ruth

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: any one on here do suckling pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »
we considered it at one time, i was thinking middle whites. though you need to consider them escaping at the abattoir as our had metal gates that wouldnt contain a small weaner sized pig.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:43:06 pm »
Don't undercharge!!!! Porchetta aka a suckling pig boned out and rolled whole sells for £120. Unless they are buying in bulk for a wedding or event etc charge a fit price.
For something as small as you are doing you want; slaughter cost + transport and packing/handling cost+ weaner value
For me that's; 35 + 25 + 30 = £90, based on taking an 8wk old in a group of 4 to the abattoir, kill, vac Pac, deliver.

This is a fair price, its what you would get selling a cheap x breed weaner a bit young. If you can justify a higher weaner cost or more profit DO SO! But that is bare minimum.

cwmfarm123

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:50:32 pm »
Great thanks gives me a rough estimate. Ruth

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:58 am »
Definitely don't under sell your pigs. You can bet any restaurant serving suckling pig will be charging the earth for it. We've had a few enquiries for our pork from hotels etc but they generally want premium product for factory farm prices. And once you've sold to them cheap you'll have a hell of a job to put the price up next time.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:02 am »
Found this post interesting - we have a batch of MW x Berkshires going soon so would be interested to hear how it goes cwmfarm123.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS