Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Towing a Bamford Wuffler 40 miles on road?  (Read 9972 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Towing a Bamford Wuffler 40 miles on road?
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:23:21 pm »
Hi all- would it be a good idea to tow a good condition Bamford Wuffler 40 miles behind my car? (on 30 mph roads. I'd attach a reg no. and light board at the rear of course).

cheers

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Towing a Bamford Wuffler 40 miles on road?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:43 pm »
Field fare,   Strictly speaking illegall as wrong type of tow hitch, and no suspension.  That said I have done it myself, that baler you had a go with at my house got towed around 20 miles on the back of my discovery to get it home. In practice you'll find you can't go any faster than about 20 mph as they start bouncing violently.

Possibility your insurance company might walk away if you are involved in an incident.

I'd hire a trailer if I were you ( I'm older more sensible and value my licence more these days) but if you do it, make sure the tyres are in good order, and blow them up to at least 35 psi,  see if you can borrow a spare in case of a blow out, you might find the front wheel off your tractor, or a landrover wheel will fit, don't forget a spanner and a Jack.

I moved mine very early on a Sunday morning, ie after it had got light, was home by 6.30hrs . Oh yes and use back roads, not the M1 !

But to answer your question, no it's not really a good idea.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:55:50 pm by stufe35 »

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »
Hi Stu- thanks for your thoughts on that...yes will think about the trailer option...
cheers,

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:28:24 pm »
It's illegal to tow all manner of things these days due to the plus 750 kg braked trailer regs  & the occasional route requirement for things to be towed at or just above above a certain speed .

I suspect the equipment would need plating and if the local coppers caught you with an unplated or illegal trailer  you'll get done .
I seem to recall that the new regulations came into force in September 2012 or perhaps even earlier to align with EU traffic regulations .

The heavy duty trailer is the route to go .

Make sure the trailer is correctly plated for the equipment weight and that the whole trailer plating load  is less than the 100 % towable weight of your tow vehicle . Make sure it is securely anchored to the trailer with no parts overhanging more than the allowed distances etc.

All manner of enforcement officers are descending in hordes upon unsuspecting folk/ victims  .
Armed with these new regs they are handing out fines & penalty points like confetti.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:13 pm »
All manner of enforcement officers are descending in hordes upon unsuspecting folk/ victims  .
Armed with these new regs they are handing out fines & penalty points like confetti.

And they still can't seem to do anything about people on narrow country lanes towing caravans that they just can't reverse.
  >:(

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:47:46 pm »
I'm going to play 'devils advocate' here.
1. Its a wheeled agricultural implement, for the purpose of...
2. It does not carry a load.
3. It does not require suspension or brakes. the unladen weight of a Wuffler will not be 500kg but I would like to know.
4. Lights can be implemented with a trailer boared.
5. If memory serves me right, the wheels and tyres are Morris Minor, perfectly capable of 50 mph, just dont exceed 50 mph.
6. Use a tow bar with a jaw or just use a Land Rover (A dual purpose vehicle .. four wheel drive and agricultural). I've used my Land Rover to move my hay baler about, quicker than a tractor.

If you are only moving local, ie, Motorways. With every thing secured and not flapping around, I cannot for see a problem ?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
 Odin,
There would likely be no physical problems other than severe bouncing above 20 mph which I experienced.
The problems are legal ones....depends if your licence is essential for you to keep your job as mine is and I believe field fares is.   Moris monitor tyres yes, wufflers were last made in the 1960s tyres are likely to be perished.  If you study your insurance policy you will almost certainly find you are only covered for a ball type hitch when towing with your car or landrover.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:15:06 pm by stufe35 »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:11 pm »
Like as not it will be also now be illegal to tow on the road as they don't have any mudguards on them.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:46:37 am »
Dont agree with any of this as you cannot apply law retrospectively to an old vehicle. This is like saying an Austin Seven should have safety belts.
I am not saying 'go out and do it'. But would it be wise to do it is another question? However, I cannot see grounds for breaking the Law by towing a Bamford Wuffler with a Dual Purpose Vehicle using a plant towing hitch and a trailer board with red triangle reflectors. Suspension does not play a part because the said trailer was not designed or built with suspension. If 30 mph is not exceeded, I cannot see a the law broken ??? However, I am open to being proven wrong.

A son of the soil .

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:37:09 pm »
 Odin,
"Don't  agree with any of this as you cannot apply law retrospectively to an old vehicle. "

So why was there a queue of tractors at the dealers to have roll bars retrospectively fitted in the early 1970s when roll over protection became mandatory ?

I think you'll find a wuffler wasn't built with suspension, because it was built to be towed behind an agricultural vehicle, max speed 20mph.(not because it's old)

You can today buy towable bowsers,  you'll find some are called road towable, others site tow only.....that's because one is designed for road legal for road vehicles...the other is not.
A landrover is only a dual purpose vehicle in name only...though they can be derated and taxed agriculturally (this is an exceptional situation) What you cannot do is wind your window down to the copper and say 'it's alright mate I'm using it as a tractor today'.
I don't know the law inside out, but let me assure you if you get pulled over by vosa towing an agricultural trailer with a car or 4x4, you won't be driving away with a clean licence.
The jaw hitches on land rovers are not compatible with agricultural hitches...you will note the difference in design of the drawbar on a tractor.

Laws you are likely to be breaking towing an agricultural implement:
Incompatible tow hitch
No breakaway chain
Nose weight too heavy
Tyres incorrect speed rating
No mudguards
No suspension
No brakes
No insurance
And if you go above 20mph...speeding

Yes we've all done it...but it isn't legal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:53:15 pm by stufe35 »

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »
As I started out, " I am playing Devils Advocate" and so far, nothing has been stated on this thread that tell me a Wuffler cannot be towed on the highway.

1. Wufflers, I own one and know it has no suspension. This is not a factor as to "can it be towed on a highway"?   But yes it will affect the road speed.
2. "Dual Purpose" vehicle is defined in Law under Construction & Use Regulations. It is a difficult area for MOT Testers and beyond the ken of most police officers. Dual Purpose vehicles jump many loop holes in Transport Law, particular Farmers and Plant going about their business.
3. A tow jaw, Dixon Bates type is designed to tow trailers like plant or ,,,, a Wuffler. I doubt it would invalidate the Insurance of a farmer going about his business towing a Wuffler.
4. I tow my agricultural trailers un-laden only, for the purpose of maintenance, with my Land Rover to the garage for repairs. Hard work going into town with a tractor. But I always fit lights.

A son of the soil .

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 09:16:40 pm »
1. Yes it can be towed on the highway by an agricultural vehicle.
2. Police officers maybe..but not vosa
3. You will note that heavy duty ivor Williams style trailers which have ring style hitches , the ring on the trailer rotates to allow for twist between the towing vehicle and the trailer. Not so agricultural trailers. I maintain they are incompatible.
4. You do so illegally in line with the points I listed previously.  Also how do you operate the brakes....you are required to be able to operate them from the drivers seat....that's why agricultural trailers have hand brakes at the front above the drawbar that can be reached from a tractor seat. Think also about nose weights you'll find a landrover is good for 150kg, are the wheels at the back of your trailer ?

In case your wondering what your range rover can tow.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8tHsb3Myk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:36:57 pm by stufe35 »

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 07:03:15 am »
Given me some things to 'stew' on there? Hmmm.

Fitting of Role Over Frames to tractors in the 1970s.(ROPS) Yes it was retrospective. But was outside Construction and Use Laws. It was a major safety issue of the time but I cannot remember which Law enforced it or how it was enforced ? Separate issue here.

VOSA is no longer in name but now DSA (Driver Standards Agency) . The chaps on the side of the road were, and probably still are, 'Enforcement'. (Gawd, they will need a new uniform next with a helmet and bright red underpants outside their trousers).  :roflanim:
DSA Enforcement Officers work to Construction and Use Regulations. On the road side, that is filtered down to Enforcing MOT standards, Plating & Testing. They cannot and do not conjor up Laws.

So Mr Fieldfare is driving his Morris Minor 1000 along an A class road towing his Bamford Wuffler.
PC Plodd is following and doesnt like what he is seeing and wants to investigate because a Road Traffic Offence may be being committed ?
The Morris is taxed, insured and in a road worthy condition. It has a plant type tow pintle, not a ball. The tow pintle has a security pin fitted to prevent the tow pin coming out. No offence there.
But what is this large yellow thingy on the back with bright blue wheels? No idea so radios help and a Chap in a bright yellow suit with blue motif from the DSA -Enforcement Division turns up. The only distinguishing feature so far is there is no red on the Wuffler... Oh yes there is. Mr Fieldfare fitted a trailer board with Red Triangle Reflectors to the rear and working red tail and stop lights, all working.
The DSA man does not care what a Wuffler is but only regards the thing as a trailer, not fitted with brakes and under half ton in weight. It falls outside the scope of an MOT test so he can only advise the Police Officer on the road worthiness of the trailer and car towing the said trailer. Tyres are in good condition, inflated. A break away chain is not required as this trailer does not have an inertia brake system. The trailer is secure,ie back doors and PTO shaft are not flapping about. No mechanical defects. So the DSA man takes a hard look at Mr Fieldfare, chewing his bit of straw, picking his nose with his pitchfork under his straw hat in the mid day sun. "Whats it do then, this Bamford thing?". Enquires the DSA man who is now having his precious time wasted.
Small Holder Fieldfare explains the purpose of his Wuffler and that his long suffering wife is sat at home with his tea on waiting to look at his Wuffler.. OOH err Missus. Obviously a man going about his business. On yer way Mr Fieldfare.

This whole business your Honor, should never have been brought to court. The whole case so far has been based of presumption and paraphernalia. Mr Fieldfare should be allowed to go about his agricultural business with his antique British made artifacts. Unless we go head first totally into Europe where all things British made , including law, will be scrapped in favor of , shall we say, more Germanic 'box-head' rules and regulations.
I rest my case for the Defense. Yours Rumpole Odin QC.
A son of the soil .

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 07:51:00 am »
As I said I'm no expert, but the easy hits for PC plod would be :

No mud guards

No breakaway chain.

Unbraked trailers must have a stout secondary coupling, such as a chain, which is connected securely to the towing vehicle when it is being towed.  The secondary coupling must be tight enough to prevent the trailer's tow hitch from hitting the ground if the vehicle becomes uncoupled.

Do you like the range rover video ?  If you've ever pulled one of those trailers with a tractor you'll know how much pulling they take....impressive.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:57:52 am by stufe35 »

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:04 am »

Unbraked trailers must have a stout secondary coupling, such as a chain, which is connected securely to the towing vehicle when it is being towed.  The secondary coupling must be tight enough to prevent the trailer's tow hitch from hitting the ground if the vehicle becomes uncoupled.
On a braked trailer the purpose of the breakaway is in the event of detachment, the cable/chain will apply the trailer brake bringing the trailer to a halt.

On a lightweight, unbraked trailer the breakaway should in the event of detachment, keep the trailer attached to the towing vehicle. Therefore, the breakaway on a lightweight trailer should be more substantial that that on a braked trailer. But think about it logicically, if the breakaway was - "tight enough to prevent the trailer's tow hitch from hitting the ground if the vehicle becomes uncoupled", dependant on where the fixing is - turning a corner would be nigh on impossible for the attached trailer as the breakaway needs to have enough loose play to permit turning movement left or right!
Anyway, it is only applicable to trailers manufactured since 1st January 1997.

There is no specific legislation which states you can't tow with anything other than a 50mm ball. Eye shafts or towing jaws are permitted subject to the Road Traffic Act as it applies to trailers, towing vehicles, weights, etc.

Finally, just thinking about the number of agricultural implements both drivable or towable without fitted mudguards, it would appear there is a vast untapped resource ready to be claimed by a keen Mr Plod! :excited:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS