Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Baked potatoes  (Read 1887 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Baked potatoes
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:44:36 am »
Hi, I am thinking of growing bakers so can someone tell me what is the best tubers for baked potatoes?.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Baked potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:28 am »
I use Desiree for bakers. They always seem to get a good size and have the right 'baker' texture.  Maris piper usually get to a decent size for me too.

Depends on the ground a bit because they have to be left in a bit longer to get the size and then there is more chance of disease or worm damage.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:55:48 am »
Cheers for that I buy some.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
We plant 'Cara' in our compost heap (my husbands started it as we suffered from blight where we used to live, the heap was mostly grass clippings too) and have had some great potatoes over the years, good size and very tasty. They also make delicious roasties.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »
King Edwards are brill .

If you rub salt in any decent sized spud , prick the skin a few tines with a dining fork and use one of the aluminium  four pronged stands to bake four spuds .  The heat travels up the aluminium and so helps cook the potato from the inside.  ( NOT FOR MICROWAVING ) 

here is a link to  various types of spuds for set circumstances  ........  http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/potatoes/potatoes-varieties.php 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS