Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All stopped laying  (Read 10888 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
All stopped laying
« on: October 01, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »
getting a couple of eggs a day on average - although the other day we had 6 eggs.  Egg customers are not happy, and keep asking when they will start laying again.

I cannot fault any of the hens, they have all laid brilliantly since Spring - the ex batteries too. I have totted up and reckon I have sold well over 350 dozen since April,  thats not including eggs we have kept back for us, and given to family.

So I do not begrudge them a nice rest for a few weeks.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Re: All stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »
Your lucky.  Got my gannets when they just got their adult feathers in late June.  Fed them, watered them, now it is too late in the year for eggs.  They still don't look old enough.  Thought of getting some battery hens to start them thinking about what they should be doing.  Just have to do the deed with Ron and Reggie first!!
Ros  :cat:  :chook:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:28 pm »
why is it to late in the year for laying.... all mine hens lay winter and summer as most hens do... provide a dryish floor outside, not mud........ if they need help put an outside light on before dawn for about 2- 3 hours... low wattage about 25-50 watts... then they will lay... give them another couple of weeeks of early nights so they think winters over in a couple of weeks when the light comes on.... mine lay without extra light, but i want the ducks to lay more so i will put the  light on, do it in the am as if you do it at night the light goes off on a timer and they havent roosted.

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:00:19 pm »
Mine've slowed down as well ???  They all seem healthy and no sign of moult, just like the onset of autumn has made them think they ought to be taking a wee rest as well.  Very strange.  I'm worming them just now, not sure if that's got anything to do with it?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »

Ours are still laying, but I'm expecting them to stop soon TBH.  Assuming we let things take their natural course (i.e. no artificial light), when might we expect eggs again then?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
Mine've slowed down as well ???  They all seem healthy and no sign of moult, just like the onset of autumn has made them think they ought to be taking a wee rest as well.  Very strange.  I'm worming them just now, not sure if that's got anything to do with it?

What u using?

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:46:17 pm »

Ours are still laying, but I'm expecting them to stop soon TBH.  Assuming we let things take their natural course (i.e. no artificial light), when might we expect eggs again then?

When the clocks change back again ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 11:23:09 pm »
Do you mean the October clock change or the March one???!!!  I hope its the October one.  To be honest, I am not expecting eggs in any great numbers until after Christmas now.  Although a few of the hens combs have reddened, so they may decide to start sooner. 

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:05:21 am »

What u using?

Ed

Flubenvet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:41:23 pm »
Do you mean the October clock change or the March one???!!!  I hope its the October one.  To be honest, I am not expecting eggs in any great numbers until after Christmas now.  Although a few of the hens combs have reddened, so they may decide to start sooner. 

Nope March probably!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 02:55:38 pm »
With hens I would check for evidence of them eating their eggs, like yolk on the floor...can be a pain if one of them starts!  :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:37 pm »
If i dont alter the clocks will that help

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 09:10:46 pm »
Roxy, do you use any extra light in your chicken sheds ? to give them a 'longer day' and they might lay more.  We use old solar lights, that fade out after a while.  They (and goats) need something like 14 hours light apparently.
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »
I used to have a timer in my chicken barn so they got a lot more light but I've since been told that if chickens are encouraged to lay more than normal it shortens their lives.  Anyone got any information on that?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »
Yes, it might... again, similar to goats that 'milk through' (ie from one year to the next without needing to kid)
commercial hens are a case in point, hybrids are shorter lived than pure bred, but lay more eggs. 
I dont think adding abit of extra light in the depths of winter will significantly affect a happy and healthy hen though, so don't worry! As long as they are well rested
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS