Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Laying Goose  (Read 4571 times)

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Laying Goose
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:22:12 am »
My goose is laying, last time 10 eggs (we took them away) now She has 11 eggs, She goes to the nest sits for say an hour (new egg) and then comes out and thats it untill she lays another egg. Do you think she will ever sit on them to hatch.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Laying Goose
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:32:49 pm »
We had a duck that laid 14 eggs over a period of three weeks and then sat on them for the duration hatching 11 of them successfully. That was in my back garden in UK - a wild bird.

At our smallholding our goose laid just five eggs in a clutch and then sat.  Prior to that the eggs she laid were  left in her nest for her, but she didn't sit, and eventually the eggs were either broken by the other geese or the pig got to them.

She only sat when her instinct told her to.  She actually didn't hatch out a single one - I had to buy goslings from the market, put them under her at night and the next day she was happy with her new family and handed her young over to hubby who carried on raising them!

She will know when the time is right to sit, or may not sit on a nest at all. With the chickens, some sit some don't but most all of them lay.  Maybe it is a personal thing!

Kate  :pig: :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: Laying Goose
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:15:37 pm »
We had a duck that laid 14 eggs over a period of three weeks and then sat on them for the duration hatching 11 of them successfully. That was in my back garden in UK - a wild bird.

At our smallholding our goose laid just five eggs in a clutch and then sat.  Prior to that the eggs she laid were  left in her nest for her, but she didn't sit, and eventually the eggs were either broken by the other geese or the pig got to them.

She only sat when her instinct told her to.  She actually didn't hatch out a single one - I had to buy goslings from the market, put them under her at night and the next day she was happy with her new family and handed her young over to hubby who carried on raising them!

She will know when the time is right to sit, or may not sit on a nest at all. With the chickens, some sit some don't but most all of them lay.  Maybe it is a personal thing!

Kate  :pig: :chook:
Thank you Kate, Very good of you to offer your help. I have worked with all sorts of animals over the years and know a lot but I have also forgoten a lot so it is nice to ask others what they think.
thank you once again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS