Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Single gosling hatched - what to do!  (Read 2858 times)

abbaye

• Joined Feb 2014
Single gosling hatched - what to do!
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
Hi folks, we had 6 goose eggs in incubator.  Only one has hatched today and I suspect thats all that we will get as no others have pipped.  Tempting as it is to make a friend of him(!) I think best option is to get him imprinted onto something else here.   We currently have:

1 bantam  in a large ark with just one 2 day old chick she hatched from a clutch but its a standard sized chick as we swapped eggs
1 bantam still sitting in a wired off area but I dont think her eggs are going to hatch as its about 4.5 weeks now
A group of 12 chicks we hatched in incubator, now in a brooder box with heat lamp, theyre 10 days old

Would any of those options be any good for sticking our little lone gosling into?

I will leave the other eggs in incubator just in case they are late.

Thanks for any replies/advice! 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Single gosling hatched - what to do!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:16:51 pm »
I'd stick him in with your brooder chicks, less chance of being picked on than with a grumpy bantam who suddenly realises she's acquired an interloper.

But before you give up, 'cheep' or 'pipe' at your goose eggs - they'll answer, if anyone is still in there, trying to get out (this amazes non-smallholding friends when they hear it!). If you can candle to see the air sack a tiny bit of 'helping' might be in order - stop the second you get any membrane bleeding - which means they are not quite ready to hatch.

abbaye

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:39:58 pm »
Thanks Jaykay I'll give it a go! :fc:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:58 am »
I agree, put it in the brooder. This is how I raised my goose and she loved all her chick friends.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:43:30 am »
Did any more hatch?

abbaye

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »
No, no more hatched.  its day 34 today and no sign of any more pipping. I will leave incubator on another day or two just in case but its not looking promising for any more.

As it happens we went to our usual Saturday morning market this morning and saw the poultry lady there and thought why not get a little mate for him/her so we are picking up two 8 day old goslings this afternoon, one of which will be for Xmas so there's xmas dinner sorted too!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »
Excellent, glad he's going to have some little friends  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS