Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent: Pet sheep still need rehoming (Perth)  (Read 4723 times)

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
Urgent: Pet sheep still need rehoming (Perth)
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:07:45 pm »
Hi Guys,

We are still looking to rehome our three pet sheep - I know lambing time might be the worst time for this but we are going away a week today for 3 weeks and I am starting to get quite stressed - we cannot afford or have the time to redo the fence and they are out more than they are in with the neighbours tolerance dwindling rapidly  :(

I contacted local farmers, animal parks, our vets and even the SPCA but noone has space for them....they could even get split up if needs be if they are going to be with other sheep....

I found one place up north near Fraserburgh (North Field Farm Haven) who would take them but they don't have transport and I don't have a trailer....Is there anyone out there who would pick them up and deliver them? Happy to pay whatever rates need to be paid for these kinds of transports - I have never driven with a trailer and only have a VW Golf so not sure if I could hire a trailer and just stick them in and take the Golf up?... apart from the fact that I would probably be a liability on the road up to Fraserburgh  :-[

Any suggestions?  :gloomy:
Chrissie.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Urgent: Pet sheep still need rehoming (Perth)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:13:19 pm »
Hire or borrow a trailer (Golf fine with single axle trailer and three sheep)? Buy electric fence? Take them to the market?

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
Thought about electric fence but paddock also for our kids and dogs for playing (trampoline and obstacle course) not didn't want to do that - market: we talked about that last night but would we need to take them and at what frequency are the markets or would you just contact your local butcher? sorry for all the questions but so far we only killed ducks and chickens for home use which we could do ourselves....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »
You can take them direct to the abattoir at Dunblane. You will need to find a local butcher to butcher them afterwards. We use Stuart Minick at Ladybank. £20 to kill plus transport to the butcher; £28 to butcher and vacuum pack (each).

IMHO, that would be preferable to sending them to market to be transported to who knows what fate anywhere in the UK.

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:33:06 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, any hot tips whom to contact for trailer hire near perth? tried googleing it but didn't come up with anything too useful....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, any hot tips whom to contact for trailer hire near perth? tried googleing it but didn't come up with anything too useful....

Try the Ifor Williams dealer in Stirling - Peter McKenzie - they might know someone.

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »
Thanks for that - Also ....I remember you mentioned you might be able to take Nova back? is this still the case? The tub will defo go to Dunblane but the two girls might be ok as he was the one breaking out all the time and they kept following....

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:03:34 pm »
+1 for taking them to Dunblane, been there myself and seemed a perfectly good little plant

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:16:46 pm »
:-) Dunblane it is then!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »
If you have no transport it might be worth asking Dunblane if there is a livestock haulier around who would take them in for you, I know Olivers who are based near me and who I use go to Dunblane. As far as I know too it is only a small lorry they use to go there as the bigger ones can't get in so they would not be packed in with dozens of others. I always used to transport my own but since our local abbatoir closed it is more economical to use a haulier.let me know if you would like there phone number!
Anne

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:07:24 pm »
yes please, could we get the phone number?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »
I can graze them short term if your stuck, plus probably transport. pm me if you want to discuss
you could also try auchingarrich wildlife centre by comrie 01764 679649 auchingarrich.co.uk.  They've quite an assortment including a pets area.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:21:12 pm by farmvet »

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 07:00:53 pm »
Olivers Transport 07801193143. Bobby is the livestock man and this is his mobile number?
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS