Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garlic dilemma  (Read 1411 times)

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
Garlic dilemma
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:00:07 pm »
I planted a whole bed of garlic last winter, first time of growing it, and followed the instructions of depth for a bad winter- using a ruler! We've had a very mild winter here and my neighbours say it's toooo deep. Just dug one up to see, and it looks like a little leek, very sweet and flavoursome though! Is this normal? Can i 'shallow' them a bit somehow? I did have visions of supplying the village with my garlic bounty, we all had difficulty buying anything other than Argentinian garlic last year....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Garlic dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:29:19 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:02:07 pm »
Garlic are planted a bit deeper than onion sets .
Onion sets with tips showing , garlic with tips just under .
I don't know how deep you mean by deep , but the bottom of the clove should be about 1" down .
I just 'found' a load of garlic whilst digging the plot ready for this year .
I moved 200 in the end .
They were about 3 tall at the time and have grown on ok since the move a few weeks ago .
Mine looked like leeks till i dug them up , then you could see the clove .
Would i move them ? , dunno , all depends if they are really deep , or just a bit deep . But then again they are up , so maybe just leave them .

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »
 Doganjo, loads of stuff on this site I haven't discovered yet, ta for pointing that out!
Rustyme, thanks, I will just have to leave it I think and learn from my mistake, though from what you say its too deep. Its got a few months to bulb up before its meant to be ready, or else I'll just try and convince the neighbours its a new, trendy garleek!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 07:55:50 pm »
Doganjo, loads of stuff on this site I haven't discovered yet, ta for pointing that out!
Rustyme, thanks, I will just have to leave it I think and learn from my mistake, though from what you say its too deep. Its got a few months to bulb up before its meant to be ready, or else I'll just try and convince the neighbours its a new, trendy garleek!
Use the search facility - very handy - that's what I did - I'm not an oracle  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS