Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Daisys Mum  (Read 2153 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Hello from Daisys Mum
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »

Hi All,
I feel as if I know lots of you already after my piggy disaster.I am in the Scottish Borders with 1 husband 3 dogs 2 cats 4 horses 16 shetland sheep 30 hens 9 ducks and 4 turkeys. No more pigs till spring! Really enjoying producing my own lamb, pork and eggs etc. Just need to get to grips with the veg side of things, always forget to water them or they get swamped with weeds, however have just built raised beds so hopefully that will help, at least it took the muck heap down a bit.
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from Daisys Mum
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:35:39 pm »
Hi
I want to build higher raised beds than I have.  What did you use for yours and what height did you make them?  I had some in my last home - made them from wood left over from the house build - they were 2'6" feet high.  Very successful - no bending, no weeds to speak of, very few beasties or cat poo, but they took a helluva lot of filling even after putting in the boulders we dug up when doing the founds.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:53:39 am »

Hi Doganjo

Made my raised bed from old railway sleepers, about 20" high, I had a whole years worth of horse manure to fill it with.Just going to top it up with all the old compost from my pots and grow bags.
Anne

sandy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:49:21 am »
Morning from Clackmannan, the wee county and my wee garden. No veg, a bit of fruit (less now we took the rubbish Strawberries out) and some 16 Chickens :chook:, 2Ducks  :&>and 2Dogs :dog: Never done any good with veg, always full of pests, funny shapes, muddy and cheaper in the shops,  but I have eaten plenty of other peoples veg and you carn't beat them!!

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:31:08 pm »
Hello.
We made our raised bed too, from wood salvaged fromthe shed we took down when we moved in. So satisfying to know that not only is the veg home grown but the beds were made too. Well done you.
 :corn: :corn:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »
Hi and welcome!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS