Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: off they go  (Read 3991 times)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
off they go
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:25:37 am »
Well the pigglies are on the move on Monday - so we have a friends trailer arriving on Sunday for the "experience" that is loading them , they will then be bedded down in there overnight to make things easier for Monday morning. It is traumatic enough when they go , without the worry of loading as well. another thing i dont enjoy is the eartagging ( although the last pair didnt seem to mind) and of course the movement licence to fill in!! hey ho - it will all be worth it ;)
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: off they go
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 11:06:07 am »
Bon Courage!

Horrible job, but think of all that lovely crackling! :pig:

Just think in no time at all you will be doing it all over again - so more piggy tales to look forward to.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:51:53 am »
I hate eartagging, am fortunate in that our abattoir accept a slap mark in lieu.  Good luck for Monday, bon appetite for Friday.

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:03:16 pm »
yes .. the very best of luck mate...hope it all goes well . As Kate says think of all the crackling and the lovely meat ....yum .... ;D

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 10:36:04 am »
thanks all - well the day has come and gone - we got the trailer on Sunday night so as to load them early to be less traumatic on the Monday for them - the plan was in place , the people were ready but it still took over an hour to load them - unfortuanatly it inxolves herding them out of their run , down a make shift walk way ive put in place to get them down the steps , around the house to the trailer on the drive at the front!!! oncein they were good as gold , and the eartagging was fine - they didnt even notice i had done it as they were scoffing apple!!! they then settled down in a fresh straw  bed for the night . the next morning however - the trailer lock was frozen solid and the farmer broke his key in the lock!! we had toget the bits of key out whilst he found the spare so that took 30 mins until we were off - on arrival at the abbatoir i found the vet  - alas his english was as poor as my spanish - so we communicated by pointing at bits on the relevant forms and waving pens about , whilst speaking very loudly and slowly to one another. i then went to the manager who was dealing with the animals and was very good , due to thefact we had hold ups we were not first there , but he knows me now , so alice and bertie were given vip treatment and they "jumped the que" and went through straight away - i have always insisted on this , and being a smaller abbatoir , are very good at allowing this to happen. we then drove back and cleaned out the trailer , followed by the lonely task of of cleaning out their ark , water trough , feed area etc. then all the phone calls were made to arrange delivery for friday afternoon. Yes , a very sad occasion , but knowing the good life they have led , the quality of the end product and the fun and laughter we have had whilst they have been with us does make up for it - and of course the thought of the next batch of baby piggies always brings a smile to my face ;)  :pig:
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS