Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ukraine update  (Read 2784 times)

misterpeter

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Farnham, Surrey (at the moment!)
    • ClassicBikeNut
Ukraine update
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:22 am »
Hi guys 'n' gals!

Just arrived last night in the Ukraine and have traveled down to Vinnytsya to go and have a look finally at the dacha... seen pictures taken last week of the inside and it does seem to be in fabulous condition... probably built early 20s, this thing has walls 18 inches thick, and all 'breathing', so no damp or other nasties. Will need double-glazing (eventually) and roof insulation (desperately!) and the addition of luxuries like running water in the house and maybe some heating... toilet stays outside for the moment, but a shower and maybe a bidet INSIDE are a must!

I will update with pictures and news as I get there and find out what HAS to be done, what should and what can be done! :)
He who goes within himself, should not be surprised if he meets no-one! :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Ukraine update
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:02 am »
Sounds very interesting. Can't wait for the pics
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:17:16 am »
Sounds great, i love the arcitecture in that part of europe, pics would be good!  :excited:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:59 pm »
Sounds fantastic, looking forward to pics - perhaps I will drop by sometime.   :eyelashes:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »
I was wondering where you were.
Sounds great amd you have a good few month to sort out some roof insulation and heating. Just crack on with planting the winter store veg and maybe move some animals inside to keep you warm over winter. I have no idea was the theram unit ouput of a pig is but it must ve equivalent to a couple of rads!!  :excited:

Do keep us all updated with your progress.
Cheers Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »
Sounds fab. :)

misterpeter

• Joined Jan 2014
    • ClassicBikeNut
Re: Ukraine update, again!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »
Well, back 'home' now in the UK and have achieved quite a lot, including actually buying the place!! I have taken a few pics and will upload those as allowed on the postings, but all in in all, the place is not in bad condition at all, considering that it has been empty for a few years.

The architecture is typical for the build era, early 1960's Communal build traditional Dacha, two-foot-thick walls, made of what, I don't have any idea! Everything breathes, so no damp at all, despite having just come out of the wet and very cold winter without habitation! A little separation at the base of some of the walls, due to shrinkage, but no big deal. I had never been inside one of these before! They have a concrete socket and foundation that appears to be hollow... the floors are rammed earth covered with what looks like leather, but is presumably real linoleum in a terra-cotta colour (see pics).

The house outside is cutely traditionally decorated and the windows in the three rooms to the West are primitively double glazed (have an extra 'glazing' about six inches away from the outside windows, offset to the inside of the frames). The 'kitchen' has a wood-burning stove, built into the wall and so heating the room next to it, as on the plan in the first set of photos. In front of the entrance, the room to the back is storage, but will become the 'wet area' with shower, bidet and hand-basin and eventually a loo, too (once I have the sewage/drainage sorted out). The large room will be my workshop until I can build something next to the house (next year)

That funny building in the middle, is a door going underground to the winter storage and to the right a sort of Chicken-Quarters and some storage above...

Yes, I had thought of pigs... actually the white 'house' outside is divided into two rooms, the one of the left has a big oven in it (which I suspect was for a Vodka distillery!) and the room on the right was for a few pigs and a calf, with an outside pen, too. I don't really want animals at all, except a few chickens, perhaps, as they require religiously daily attention, or they will suffer. That would mean binding me to the property completely, as I am too far away from anywhere to be able to 'go and do things' without having to stay away from the dacha for longer than sensible.

So I have restricted myself to growing fruit and veg for myself and the chickens for eggs, as I don't eat much meat anyway these days! Just below and parallel to the entrance area (that will double as a greenhouse initially!) I have had an 8 metre-wide strip cultivated for veg that I will be planting (some as seedlings) when I get back in May; so all the later stuff like toms, paprika, beans, spinach, kale courgettes, pumpkin etc that doesn't mind too much when it is planted as long as it's warm enough and they get watered!. The chillis will have to make do with being inside this year and will be late starters. Carrots and spuds will also be in evidence and I'm going to try to grow stick celery there, which is almost unknown down there!

I have ordered apple, plum, peach and cherry trees (a good twenty of each) for autumn planting in rows down to the bottom edge and across nearly the whole width. The periphery will have walnut trees being planted all along the South and West borders and they will be interspersed with redcurrants, gooseberry and other shrubs and trees and low hedging to encourage and protect wildlife and give some wind/frost protection.

I'm also going to have a couple of bee-hives at the bottom, so the startup will be staggered and quite busy, quite apart from the work on the house to make it comfortable/habitable as stated in the previous post! Electricity is there, but I am still looking for a generator and will have to organise my own water, hot and cold, in the house (at present from a shared well on the street!), plumbing and heating (not nice, warm pigs, I'm afraid!).

I am really starting from nothing with virtually nothing (long story, but my parents basically bankrupted me - just don't ask!) and would appreciate any advice, as I have never done it quite like this before, what with the new language and all, too! A complete administrative nightmare, too, but it will all work out eventually! All I need now is to beg, buy, borrow or steal a vehicle, grab my kit and some tools that I need to take and I'm off by road to the dark side of the moon! YAY!

So here are some pics and enjoy!! :)

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »
Looks great :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:17:14 pm »
how are the neighbours etc do they speak any english? a brave and exciting new life. are you on your own there?
does the stuff on the news affect you at all?
looks lovely, where do you look to find places like that for sale - online?
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:24:22 pm by shygirl »

misterpeter

• Joined Jan 2014
    • ClassicBikeNut
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:28 am »
Hi Everyone! Quite a departure from the 'norm', I must a bit and going a bit out on a limb. About the news, well, of course it disturbs me, I have fallen in love with the people and their country and it is sad to see the necessity in some areas, for them to be in real preparation for fleeing or fighting. If called to arms, I will not hesitate one minute, but at 58 perhaps unlikely (at least not officially).

Finding the place, yes, online and using the online translator to find which button to press! The place I used is http://rieltor.vn.ua/houses-sale and the one I bought was from 'private' and not an agent. You just do the same as in any portal, give in the area of your search, type of property and price-range, and off you go! Take a look on Google Earth, find a main city and area around it and just have a 'nose', you never know what you might find!

Neighbours?? What are those!! If you saw the main pics on the first post (not this thread, but the original one) you will see that the land still has the old divisions, but most of them are uninhabited for most of the year.

English?? Hahaha! You have to be joking! And I have been warned that most of what I hear after midday should remain unrepeatable (at least in female company) as the ratio of vodka to language level is inversely proportional... I am doing my best to learn the lingo, but it is i veritable minefield gramatically. Being in a completely different script and having entirely new phonetic base is also a challenge, but I'm slowly getting there (I hope!). The people are wonderful and have been ultra-supportive up to now.

My main hurdle is setting myself up to be able to stay for more than the normal 90/180 day visa; three choices, there: Work contract from a company (not an individual), set up my own Ltd. Company based there and 3, find a 'Babushka' to marry. I think I'll go for #2, eh!? I don't actually have to DO anything, bus pay a fixed basic tax every quarter and I'm OK (£30 a throw, I think)... The administrative paperwork is an absolute nightmare and could not possibly have been even contemplated without the very hard work of the seller of the property, who thankfully DOES speak some English and has become a sort of new family friend! (but lives in the city 70 km away...)

No, I am going there with virtually nothing, due to family circumstances (nonagenarian parents with some memory and other issues!) that have left me bankrupt. The house was paid for (unbeknown to them!) by a tax-return in Australia that  was only juste nough and I'll have to pretty much 'do a runner' with my personal belongings and tools that I can fit into a car or small van (still to be 'acquired' for the journey) to escape any more damage being done and start from scratch.

Glad to answer any more queries and believe me, I'll have plenty, once I get down there on my own... I've never been in a situation like this before, so really starting from scratch, with a steep learning-curve! :) I know nothing!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS