Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: very sad  (Read 4951 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
very sad
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:04 pm »
Just had to have one of my favourite ewes shot.  Hand reared her from birth as her mother broke her leg in 2.  Splinted and nursed her leg for months.  Had 2 lovely sets of twins from her then nothing for 4 years.  She has been in the retirement flock for the last 2 years but spent the winter with the ram and his mate and 1 other barren ewe.  Had my paddock broken into last week (obviously trying to steal the sheep, my ram put paid to that idea, and when i got there the ram was seriously angry! Brought all 4 home but little peggy was very weak and poorly.  Been nursing her all weekend but this morning she started aborting a very small, very dead lamb.  Had no idea she was pregnant after 4 years being barren!  Feel so guilty.  lamb was starting to come out in pieces, peggy was losing the will to live, so i made a quick decision and put her out of her discomfort.  Now feeling awful that she was in lamb and i was unaware, and feeling so angry that people have chased my sheep about and caused my ewe a horrible end.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: very sad
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:47 pm »
that'is soo sad  :hug: :hug: :hug:
sounds like she had a very happy life though  :bouquet:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:51:49 pm »
Very sorry to hear that, your anger is fully justified. It sounds like Peggy had a wonderful life, though, and you bravely made he right decision for her.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »
What a sad story  :'( . It really wasn't your fault though, and you did everything a good shepherd ever could have done  :bouquet: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
How miserable for you.  So so sorry, and your poor ewe (((( :bouquet: ))))
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »
 :hug:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:39 pm »
Really so incredibly sad and sorry to hear this. She sounds like a very special one off girl.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:32:24 pm »
Aww, how sad but you did the right thing for her in the end  :hug:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »
so sorry to hear that- rotten thing to happen  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 04:22:13 am »
Very sorry to hear that, your anger is fully justified. It sounds like Peggy had a wonderful life, though, and you bravely made the right decision for her.

this.

:bouquet: :hug:

It was on the news recently that the police are going to take thefts of working dogs more seriously, as they have now recognised that the emotional impact of such a crime is massive.  My immediate thought was to wonder if they would ever understand the emotional impact of sheep worrying and/or rustling on sheepkeepers.  It's not just the fondness one has for certain sheep (and even big burly farmers do have certain sheep they are fond of ;)), it's also the emotional trauma of having been unable to protect these creatures that depend on us for their care.  (And the same applies to crimes against other livestock too, of course.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:58:14 am »
Well said Sally  :thumbsup:  I have pet sheep that are in with my Boreray, the thought of that happening to them  :rant:
So sad  :hug:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:13:51 am »
 :hug: Sorry to hear this - thinking of you.  :hug:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:04 am »
Very sorry to hear that, your anger is fully justified. It sounds like Peggy had a wonderful life, though, and you bravely made he right decision for her.
+1

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:32 am »
When you :hugsheep: , it really hurts :bouquet: .  You have every right to be angry but at least you were able to do the right thing for your girl  :hug: .  I can't bear to think what happened to my poor old Willow and the shearlings, and I'm terrified of it happening again.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 11:45:37 am »
thanks everyone. Took peggy up to the abatoir this morning and they kindly opened her up for me, (nearly brought up my morning coffee but it was worth it) hadnt told them anything about what had happened.  They said straight away that she had been chased by dogs or humans about a week ago and the placenta had come away and lambs had died.  Neither of the twins were full term and would have been near on impossible to get them out without major trauma to the ewe.  Confirmed i did the right thing last night, and even more angry now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS