Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barred Plymouth Rock v Light Sussex  (Read 8452 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Barred Plymouth Rock v Light Sussex
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:17:04 pm »
Looking into expanding into one of these two breeds and not sure which one to go for a I like the look of both equally.  Performance wise I believe they are pretty similar... I am after more of a utility pure bred bird as I mainly have modern game bantams, Japanese, silkies, dark brahmas and orpingtons.

What are your thoughts? I want good lot of eggs and will fatten up any extra males produced... Who lays better? Who is best to eat?

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Barred Plymouth Rock v Light Sussex
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »
I only have a plymouth rock cross hen to compare but I am in the process of switching to Light sussex this year purely for egg production.
The orpingtons I have had are beautiful, docile birds and I love them but they just go broody too often.

I had a single light sussex hen last year and the egg production was very good with few 'off' days.

My only comment would be that I find the LS cockerel had to be shown not to attack humans and he is just a bit brutal with his ladies.  I have a few cockerel crosses hatched from him and they have inherited his nastiness so this will be their last week.   The cockerels have made a really good weight though.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:08:40 pm »
Totally agree! The orpingtons are lovely but not good for laying. Mine lay great now in spring but come summer they all go broody and it's a constant battle to bring them out of it!

I did think the LS would be a better table bird... If she lays well too that would seal the deal! Anyone got rocks??

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:41:01 pm »
If you can find a utility strain of either breed they will serve you well. If unsure which breed to go for pick the one that pleases you most. Light sussex will certainly tick the box for dual purpose.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:09:21 pm »
My experience with Barred Plymouth Rocks was very dissapointing.  Docile and calm birds, but far too much showing influence to live up to anything like the laying statistics.  On that basis, I went for Amrocks second time round but they were also dissapointing with less nice personalities.

You can get utility light sussex quite easily I believe.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:20:47 pm »
Looks like Sussex have the edge... I'm going to see a breeder who has both tmrw! Will see what I come back with!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:40:09 am »
I sold off my LS flock last year because I was a bit dissapointed with their performance in both egg laying and meat. I'd had them for about four years and tried to improve their laying by selective breeding but it wasn't getting anywhere.

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 09:36:21 am »
Both are excellent breeds but a lot depends on the strain you get.  Of the two, I prefer Light Sussex because egg laying is generally slightly better, I like a breed that can sometimes go broody to sustain itself (sussex is uasually more broody than PRs) and the sussex personalties/characters are usually awesome.  But I'm nitpicking there, seriously they are both exceptionally brilliant dual purpose breeds and they both are used in some of the best crosses.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:15:14 am »
I do like Sussex for egg production. But think RIR are probably better layers, and better yet are leg horns, but they don't seem popular at the moment. Things like brahmas, Cochins and orpingtons never produced eggs on same scale. My cream legbars laid well, and Araucanas are having a good go. I like having a few Marans for dark eggs in the boxes.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »
Yes just been offered some rumpless Araucanas and thought I may have to make up yet another pen as it's nice to have a variety of eggs, they lay blue green eggs which the younger members of the family will enjoy! I went for the Barred Rocks in the end... Lovely big strong line.... So we will have good birds for the freezer as well as eggs... I'm also picking up some pol layers (6 of) to make sure we have enough eggs ha!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »
You need to get some D 104 or smiler 300 eggs google Sussex D 104 Morrison's there is no think to beat them .These are the best you can get vaccinated eggs can be bought and they will hatch 20 for 12 .

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 03:43:42 am »
I will look those up right now! Cheers!!

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 06:38:47 am »
Lovely reading  :)

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 06:39:38 am »
Sorry replied to wrong post

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS