Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: warts  (Read 3479 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
warts
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:12:39 am »
Just moved my 4 jersey heifers at the weekend, one of the younger girls (18 months) has a large wart, size of 2 fists on one of her teats, and 2 small warts on her front leg.  Spoke to vet this morning and he said they were warts, gave me the long latin name.  Said to ignore them and they should fall off by the time she is 2 and a half!  eek!!  the one on her udder is huge!  Anyone had this before?  Many thanks. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: warts
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:50 am »
Mine have the odd wart on their teats but nothing so huge as you describe  :o - just wart-sized! 

The Jersey farm I got the original cow from says they usually take them off (don't know whether by tying cotton around them or by burning them with some suitable ointment) when the cows are dry.  IME they don't come back in the same place next year anyway ;)

I think I would ask the vet about removing that large one on her teat if she does still have it say 3 months before her first calving.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:35:03 pm »
The teat ones will drop off as the vet said, seen loads in milking Heifers and they do go eventually. If you try removing them you could risk infection which you don't want in the teats/udder. Although two fists is big!  :o

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »
Thank you! TB testing is in July so will get them to take a good look at it then and possibly ring or string it whilst she is in a crush.  He did say you can get a vaccine made up but it has to be done for each individual from a sample from the wart and costs a fortune, so have forgotten that idea already!!  Will ignore it (but will keep and eye on it) till july.  Now nervously waiting for my first calf to be born in a few weeks!!!

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:45 pm »
Warts on teats often come away easily if you coat them in veg oil for a few days.  I dont know why but a dairy farmer once told me, I didnt believe him, but it usually works!
The vaccine costs around £60 plus your vets time etc to remove a small wart & send to the lab.  Its probably better sorted before July . the flies will be a nusiance then both in healing the site and also in spreading the virus to other cattle/ horses.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:23:55 am »
is it sarcoids?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 04:59:31 pm »
Mine had them. Gone now and I didn't do anything. They were, well, wart sized though  :)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »
Agnes has super sized warts!  It is definitely a wart, just very large! about the size of an orange, she has 2 small ones on her front leg, the orange one on her teat and lots of tiny ones on her face. Sent a photo to my vet today as i was panicing that he hadnt heard the bit about how large it was.  Reply back was calm down, its warts!! They did say i could band it if it got any larger and was annoying her.  Yeh right, cant see my bands stretching that wide open to go on!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »
Tea Tree Oil, works wonders on warts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS